Shark Steam mop....easy or hard to push?

charlie2003March 7, 2008

I bought a steam mop and there is quite a bit of resistance when pushing it around. Should it be easy or hard to push? Should the white cloth thing be damp whilst mopping? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Charlie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slibstorff

I just got my steam mop yesterday. So many people on this site were raving about it so I had to get one. Paid $80 at Kohl's and this was 10% off. Quite a nifty little gadget. I found that when the pad got dirty it became alot harder to push so I changed the pad and it got easier. Where is a good place to buy pads? How much flooring can you do with one pad? The directions said to use distilled water does everyone do this? I didn't have any so I used tap water. I think I still like my hoover floormate better but the steam mop was alot quicker and easier to use. I think I will use the steam mop for touchups and still use the floormate on my thorough cleaning day.

Bookmark   March 8, 2008 at 12:33PM
cearab

It does get harder to push once the pads get dirty. BBB evidently sells the replacement pads 2 for $19.99. If you have one of their 20% off coupons, it's a good deal.

Bookmark   March 8, 2008 at 12:45PM
reeree_natural

charlie2003
I also think it depends on the flooring type. I have noticed the difference of ease on different flooring surfaces my self. I think itÂs the micro fiber pads. . Back when they made the pads out of a different material, it was much easier to push around with no resistance at all. After a few washes, I think it does get a bit easier.. Just think of the big muscles you will have! LOL
Ree

slibstorff
I use hot tap water, never used distilled. I also have the hoover floor mate. I think it does a great job as far as cleaning the floors. I use that once a week, then I steam clean the rest of the week. When I had my old shark, I hardly ever took out the floormate, with the new shark, I do not use it as much as I did my old one. They really changed them and I really don't think they are better "improved" but still a great thing to have..I love the idea it is a fast, effective way to wash the floors..my next venture is the Lotus sanitizing system, and I will also try their mop.
Ree

Bookmark   March 8, 2008 at 2:33PM
charlie2003

Thanks everybody. Just wanted to check nothing was wrong with the mop, sounds like it is just fine. Will get a workout meanwhile. :)

Bookmark   March 8, 2008 at 8:21PM
shaun

Ree that's a good idea to fill it with hot water. I was using cold. I'll do that today!

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 8:47AM
cearab

I've been using cold water as well, never thought about using hot tap water (duh). I have to do the floors today, so thanks for the tip.

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 4:57PM
reeree_natural

I always filled it with very hot tap water first...
let me know how you made out.... Ree

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 7:27PM
kbuzz18

I just bought the steam shark mop and it leaves a film on the surface. I have laminate flooring. Any body have experience using the steam mop on this type of flooring?? Is it damaging the surface or is it from a build up of soap and gunk??? Any suggestions?

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 11:04PM
reeree_natural

kbuzz18
It is a build of soap residue coming to the surface. It may take a few times, but you will get it off. The steam mop is only "hot water". keep going over it and you will have squeaky clean floors.
Ree

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 6:40AM
kbuzz18

Ree-

Thank you. That eases my mind. I was getting a little frustrated.

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 10:02PM
brmhilda6_yahoo_com

Keep seeing that the film on the floors is old stuff and it will go away. I have used the steam mop four times and still am getting a film. Getting very frustrated. Really like the job it does, but with the sun shining through onto floors, they just look awful! Do I still keep trying?

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 12:05PM
caavonldy

I am a 70 year old woman with arthritis. I can't get down on the floor to scrub. My husband bought one of the Shark steam mops and I love it. I finally have clean floors again. Even I can push it around my kitchen without problems. Now if only I didn't have trouble with it getting into corners. It is really hard to use a toothbrush in the corners.

Bookmark   January 2, 2011 at 12:58AM
juju222

I have had the shark steam mop for 10 months. It is getting harder and harder to push around. My back aches for two days afterward. I don't know if not enough steam is coming out or what!
Does anyone else have this problem?
I use distilled water and follow all directions for cleaning the pads.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 4:51PM
juju222

OK, two months later...I feel like a dodo. I was having trouble pushing my mop around. Well, when I mopped I wasn't unwrapping the cord all the way from its holders on the handle (because I don't like to trip over cords)...so it was never totally unwrapped. One day I unwrapped it, and VOILA! much more steam and the darn thing zipped around the floor. YAY!

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Toilet hard water stains
We have a 1/2 bath that rarely is used, so there's...
nelles_gw
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™