crema marfil tile question

KateB22March 29, 2014

I am using white carerra marble in two of our bathrooms and I love it. That has gone in already. I am trying to decide if we should use crema marfil or carerra for my husband's bath. We ended up getting carerra samples but not the crema. We are somewhat delayed in terms of the job needing to get done. I can order a crema sample but it will slow us down more. So I am trying to decide if we should go with the one we know or if crema is a good choice too. my husband doesn't know either. We looked at lots of photos of crema together and we kind of like it but were worried it has too much of a pink undertone. does it? or is it purely beige? Is it a good choice for a man's bathroom? And what about carerra-- is that too feminine looking for man's bath? we know we want marble and have narrowed it down to these but we don't quite know what crema marfil looks like and would appreciate any descriptions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DreamingoftheUP

White with gray veining type marble is classic and is neither masculine nor feminine. If you want to make a statement and identify a bathroom as masculine, IMO you're being too timid with crema marfil. I'd suggest something like Michelangelo marble with a dark wood vanity, such as the picture below.

If you want to stay with white-with-gray-veining type marble but want to distinguish the other baths from your husband's, why not go with statuary marble? Carrara is more foggy while statuary (statuario) has sharply defined veining.

Or, you could do carrara or statuary for the above the floor surfaces (vanity top, shower) and a darker marble or tile for the floor:

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 6:49

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 6:27AM
neighborgirl

The crema marfil we have has a peach- pink tone. We have it in our powder room with grey toned walls (BM Coastal Fog) and grey tile floor and bamboo vanity and think it looks really nice but might be a bit feminine for a man's bathroom. It is pretty though.
M.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 6:39AM
bethinnc

We used honed crema marfil for the vanity and the tile in our recently redone master bath. I don't find it pink-y at all. Here's an in-progress picture from before we had the shower glass installed.

The vanity looks very similar to the floor. I think it is a great neutral, and you could make the room look more "masculine" with lighting fixtures or other accessories.

I'd caution about using a dark marble like the first example from DreamingoftheUP's post--those tend to show etching much more easily than lighter marbles.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
banjo sink? opinions?
just learned that a BANJO sink is one (or its surrounding...
mainewire
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Lighted Tub/Shower Niche
Anyone ever wire a light into your shower niche? I...
monicakm_gw
The towel ring and the towel bar
The last bit for my bathroom arrived today, a hand...
Linelle
Sponsored Products
Descartes Nightstand
FRONTGATE
Silkroad Exclusive 60-inch Crema Marfil Marble Stone Top Bathroom Double Sink Va
Overstock.com
Sample-Chair Rail Crema Marfil 2x12 Marble Liner Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Sample-Arbor Dark Emperador With Crema Marfil Dot Marble Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Nespresso Pixie Espresso Machine with Aeroccino Frother
$279.00 | FRONTGATE
Porcelain Floor & Wall Tile: Emser Flooring Park Avenue Marfil Matte 8 in. x 32
$8.47 | Home Depot
Cole + Co. 30W x 23D in. Lorraine Stone Vanity Top - 10.17.220230.28
$562.50 | Hayneedle
SomerTile Wood Look Sava Crema Porcelain Floor and Wall Tile 6x18-in (Case of 16
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™