Clean/Restore Formica Finish

jerry_njMarch 16, 2004

I have several counters that have a Formica laminate surface. They all look to be in good shape, but as they are about 20 years old I wonder if there are cleaning or restoration products that would help bring bact the original luster/finish. I do not recall a different look to the finish, but, again, as the finish has seen a lot of use I'd expect it to have lost some of the original look.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

A waxing with paste wax can help.

Bookmark   March 17, 2004 at 6:48AM
jerry_nj

Where does one find paste wax? I've looked in Walmart and Home Depot (didn't ask, just looked) and I don't see any.

Years ago I purchased a can to wax glossy furnature finish. I didn't do much of that and the old can has gone the way all things not used do..lost.

Bookmark   March 26, 2004 at 6:30PM
lazy_gardens

Try a woodworking supply shop. Or in the floor wax section of a large supermarket.

Bookmark   March 28, 2004 at 11:33PM
Karissa

Wax will absorb stains, get into cracks and look nasty after a while requiring even more work stripping it off.

Bookmark   March 29, 2004 at 6:09AM
jaybird

Jubilee Wax will do the job VERY well!!! I purchase it at the local grocery store!

Bookmark   March 30, 2004 at 1:02PM
dian57

I use Silicone Glaze on my kitchen counters. It's supposed to be for cars, but it makes my counters really shine. They look new and are very easy to wipe clean.

Bookmark   August 16, 2004 at 7:02AM
maybee_gw

I found "Countertop Magic" at Menards for just this thing...and it really does a nice job

Bookmark   August 28, 2004 at 6:28PM
caseyb

For all of you using these products on countertops, any comments on food-safety/bacteria-harboring qualities? I would really like to find a product to polish my countertops, which are heavily scratched, and would thus collect the product in certain places. I hate to think of breeding bacteria in these scratches, or transfering something even semi-toxic to my food! I am not sure what to try.

Bookmark   December 15, 2004 at 9:44AM
smom40

You can't fix formica, you can only try to make it look better. Once it's damaged, it's done. You can't bring back the original finish.

Bookmark   December 29, 2004 at 12:26PM
stanlie_gw

You cant fix formica but a light coat of mineral oil will help add some shine. Its cheap and it wont hurt you if it gets on your food. Some people use it to oil their wooden salad bowls etc.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 10:28PM
smilesuzyq_netscape_net

I wonder if there is a poluurethane or high traffic floor finish that would hold up. I have a black textured formica suface countertop and I polish it but after a few days anywhere that a dish has been set down or a drop of water spilled it removes the lustre. I have hardwood floors and the finish on them really holds up to heavy use.Any Suggestions?

Bookmark   November 20, 2006 at 9:21AM
jannie

My formica counters are over 15 years old. About twice a year,I wipe with a 50% solution of clorox bleach/water. Rinse well, and be careful handling the mixture.

Bookmark   November 20, 2006 at 8:14PM
becky_jean

I agree with Jaybird, Jubilee Kitchen Wax is a jewel to keep on hand. I use it on my Formica counter tops & it helps them to have some lustre again as well as keep it protected from extra stains.

It also cleans plastic parts on appliances & makes them look new again.

Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 3:56PM
joanbass_aol_com

Have black formica cabinets with fingerprints that I can't get off.

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 11:28AM
susiedooley_yahoo_com

we used the countertop magic and all it did was, it left alot of strikes that we cant get out

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 5:31PM
jannie

I've used "Countertop Magic" with good results. Gives a matte sheen. Definitely not glossy. Had no problem with strikes or streaks. My only complaint is it has a smell like motor oil, petroleum, you know? Probably not good to breathe in.(It's an aerosol can).

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 10:10AM
aimlay_hotmail_com

I recently used CounterTop Magic. It cleaned, but no better than other other product. No shine, dull looking and strong odor. Won't buy it again. I have some white blotches on my dark blue formica counter that I had hoped it might remove. Someone said to use either Iron Out or Rust Out to remove these white blotches. Anyone else have this problem?

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 11:01AM
tenngarden

When i lived in fl, our home had 1980's, dark brown, wood grain laminate countertops and cabinets. All in very good shape, but ugly! We painted the cabinets a golden yellow which actually made the countertops look not half bad. To shine them up, i found a product (actually saw it on an infomercial 1st) called rejuvenate. Found it at Home Depot eventually. It's a polymer coating which really added shine to the countertops. It's applied with a microfiber mitt and u literally paint it on with the mitt. Clean the countertops as directed and then apply the polish. Work quickly and in one direction. It looks great. It does not last forever, have to reapply every 1-3 months. Plan to use it now on not quite as ugly blue marble laminate. Good shape, but older. HD still carries it, check cleaning product aisle or kitchen remodeling dept. u can check availability of inventory for HD right on line for ur closest store. I've also had great luck filling small dings in laminate with wood putty and/or a magic marker or paint(paint must match exactly, of course). Rustoleum also makes a countertop paint which works well(not as shiny as new) but it does chip with heavy use, so I used polyurethane (spar) to topcoat. Took a long time to dry, but very durable.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™