Check your tax assessors website if you are building!

athensmomof3March 28, 2012

If you are building, take a few minutes to check your tax assessors website! Most property valuations are made by April 1, and when I logged on to check our property, they had combined the basement and top two floors square footage, didn't take out unfinished parts of the basement (they missed a mechanical room and an entire guest wing that we brought to sheetrock and then stopped finishing). Needless to say, main floors and upstairs are taxed more heavily than basements and over the garage playrooms (which they also had too big - we have an unfinished storage area that they didn't subtract up there).

I was able to reduce our total square footage by 1300 square feet, and was able to get 1930 of the remaining finished square footage area placed in the basement where it belongs ;)

This reduced our top two floor square footage by 3300 square feet or so, when you add all of it up. Needless to say, this will have a significant impact on my tax bill.

I was able to do this over the phone, with a conversation with the tax assessor and my plans in hand. He also wanted to know the appraised value from our loan, which I was happy to give him since we appraised so low and had to come up with cash to build . . .

Worth a few minutes of your time!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
topman

Great advices, thanks!

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 11:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ILoveRed

Good point athensmom.

In our neck of the woods, finished basement space assesses no higher than unfinished space.

We have 3000 sq ft of finished space in our lower level and the tax man could care less. Strange but true. Real estate wise, I can only list my house as a 3 bedroom house since that is all that is above ground, even though I have 2 beautiful bedrooms in my lower level.

Around here--tax wise--you are better off building a ranch home and finishing the basement.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
Is the 'remote' home office worth it?
We need an office for DH that is away from the day-to-day...
edwardshome
Master Bath revisions
Which revision do you like better? There can only be...
edwardshome
Please help critique this floor plan.
Hi all. We are hoping to break ground within the next...
daboyd4
Sending my floor plan modifications to the architect. Ideas?
I have to have all my structural changes decided by...
houserookie
Would you trust a builder to create a blueprint from your own sketch?
We have heard of people building custom without using...
liv2tell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™