Plantation shutters are these a pain to keep clean?

xoxosmomMarch 1, 2008

I am trying to create a lower maintenance home. I love the look of white plantation shutters but am afraid they will be very hard to keep clean. Any suggestions or advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I have wooden shutters in my kitchen. I really like the way they look. They do require frequent dusting.

Bookmark   March 1, 2008 at 6:09PM
krad

i have wooden shutters throughout the entire house; they are 4" wide, which makes it easier (less slats to clean)! i love the look but they are a lot of extra work to keep clean! i use a duster every week on them; when they start getting bad, i use murphy's oil soap, just a few drops in hot water, and wring out the rag real good and wipe down. it takes me two mornings but they look so good.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 12:11AM
albert_135

In some areas and in some homes you can save enough on heating and air conditioning to pay someone to clean them.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 1:13PM
jak1

I have custom vinyl plantation shutters in bedrooms and bathroom. I love them! I wipe them down with a damp cloth every so often - not really frequently, both sides and they look just great. The are also energy efficient - keeping out heat in summer and cold in witner. Alos darken the room well if you have a shift worker who needs to sleep days....

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 10:16AM
mhanna

Plantation shutters shouldn't be any harder to keep clean than mini blinds or traditional shutters since plantation shutter louvers are larger and spaced apart further than blinds or traditional shutters.

This makes it much easier to dust them by hand or using some sort of handled duster.

Here is a link that might be useful: All About Window Shutters

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
shower doors nightmare
Hello there. My boyfriend is about to sell his house,...
vacuumfreak
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™