Deciding on what shower should be...?

mmksMarch 5, 2013

We are rebuilding after a fire, and in our master bath we are trying to decide if we tile the shower again, or just go with a surround. I think it would be easier to clean, but the tile looked really nice. We just were not ready to go through this again this soon..I am afraid I will find the surround too sterile looking, but it will be faster.What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mydreamhome

I vote tile. I'm not a fan of cleaning grout, but since discovering the art of squeegeeing after a shower, the cleaning is no longer a big deal. It removes all the excess water and soap/shampoo & we're good to go. Cleaning entails a once a month (if that) spray down of the walls and a once weekly spray down and quick scrub of the floor. No mold, no mildew, no grout to scrub with a toothbrush. Plus tile is a pretty timeless material choice.

A surround is definitely easier & quicker to install, but does not have the same look as tile. I also find them more difficult to clean (they seem to hold on to soap residue more than tile in my experience). Plus you have to be very careful what cleansers you use as they are more easily scratched and dulled than tile.

Just my $0.02. Hope it helps!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 12:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raehelen

Am in a similar boat. No fire, but are redoing Master bath, and I'm still torn between cultured marble walls...(much simpler, easy to clean, but far more expensive), and tile walls. Surround is different, it takes up space and leaves you with less useable space in the shower (as walls/corners are usually curved and shelves take up even more space). I haven't had tile walls in a shower for years, but now that I've had a glass and cultured marble shower in the basement for 4yrs+ have gotten used to the squeegee routine, so maybe a tiled wall wouldn't be the horrendous cleaning nightmare that I recall from previous homes....

We are DIY'ers, so tiling for us would be a much cheaper alternative to the cultured marble walls. Much more work though, so totally get where you're coming from. If you go surround, I would do the squeegee routine anyways, and even a microfibre cloth wipe-down regularly to help keep it looking like new!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Tere-stone anyone?
Does anyone have any experience with Tere-stone as...
coffeehaus
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Grout experts, Fusion Pro, Kerapoxy, Spectralock, Bostik?
Or Tec Power grout? I'm trying to choose something...
happyallison
Classic looking offset vanity top?
I'm planning out a bathroom remodel for a 1920s Craftsman...
resseger
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Sponsored Products
Grohe Somerset Thermostat Trim - Infinity Brushed Nickel
Modern Bathroom
Premium Monogrammed Frosted Cups - Set of 50, 12 oz., Single Letter Monogram
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Shower Curtain Artistic - Seaglass Sea Turtle
$89.00 | DiaNoche
27" Gray Basalt Stone Concrete Bathroom Sink style - TOJI
Living'ROC
Steam Spa Oasis Package for Steam Spa 10.5kW Steam Generators in Brushed Nickel
Beyond Stores