what gas dryer do you suggest

ontariomomMarch 21, 2012

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend a gas dryer? I tried posting this question over a week ago on the laundry forum, but no bites. I guess most people are choosing electric. I have heard that gas dryers dry clothes faster and around here it will be cheaper to dry a load than with electric.

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeageaux

Most posters in the Laundry forum are fans of European,German in particular,front load machines and electric dryers.And to a lesser extent the South Korean counterparts.

IMO, Whirlpool still makes the best gas dryers.

There is the Whirlpool Duet Steam WGD94HEX.

And since Whirlpool now owns Maytag there is its version the Maytag Maxima EcoConserve Series MGD6000X.

There is also Speed Queen. They have three standard dryers which vary little in options plus the extra fancy Imperial.

Speed Queen has earned a reputation for outstanding long term durability but if something goes wrong getting parts and service can be a bear. They still don't have a 1-800 number for residential customers only commercial customers.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 2:50AM
llaatt22

Do you have a gas line already installed for a dryer? Gas heat? Gas water heater? Gas range? Fireplace?

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 9:55AM
ontariomom

Deeageaux,

Thanks for letting us know about the Whirlpool and Maytag models. I will check them out for sure!

Laat2,

Thanks for your response. We have a gas water heater and gas heat. We will have a gas fireplace, and want a gas dryer. All gas facilities will be on the same side of the house. We may also run a line for a gas bbq outside. We don't want a gas stove. This is a addition with a gut to most of the current house, so these lines can go in no problem.

Carol

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 6:28PM
knot2fast

I don't know about the availability of Speed Queen parts (I've never tried), but I used a form on their support page to ask a question yesterday and I had an email answer in an hour.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 10:09PM
dan1888

I mixed my existing Frigidaire gas dryer with a Miele washer. The dryer is 20 and the miele 220V is 10. Gas is signifigantly more efficient than electric.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 10:27PM
beasty

We have the Whirlpool Duet (not Steam, though) and the dryer has worked just fine. We've had to have the washer portion serviced a couple of times, but no real big deal.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
DCS Gas range review
DCS gas range review
brett_champagne
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Who makes Counter Depth fridge less than 36" wide
Hi, who makes a counter depth fridge that is only say...
Brad Goodyear
True Refrigerator (residential)
I came across this beautiful photo of a True refrigerator...
ltislander
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™