New DW detergent tarnishing silver?

chambleemamaMarch 30, 2011

Since we started using the new, phosphate-free DW detergent, I'm noticing that my silver flatware tarnishes about twice as fast as before. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I don't ever put my silver plated utensils in the dishwasher. I hand wash them and even hand dry. Keeps them clean and tarnish free. I have a set of stainless steel for every day use and they can go in the DW without any problems. Just my experience.

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 8:03AM
westvillager

In practice, I'm with jannie. In fact, phosphates are discouraged when cleaning silver or silver plate. This is a stumper b/c I'd deduce it wasn't the detergent at all but one of the myriad other reasons (touching stainless steel in the DW, water too hot, other detergent fillers/builders, etc.)

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 2:39PM
chambleemama

Sigh. I know this goes against the grain: My Mama used nothing but her sterling flatware, three meals a day, and to my knowledge she ran it all through her dishwasher for 24 years, once she had a DW. It did not harm it--I have it now. Mama had a drawer lined with Pacific cloth, including a loose cover, where all the flatware was stored. I wonder if what I'm noticing is a result of the water-saver features of this DW. I may end up hand washing, but I'm not going down without a fight!
Thank you both for answering!

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™