How to Clean a Disgusting Plastic Shower Floor

lgal63March 29, 2010

I have purchased a property that has what I believer is a plastic shower floor (not a slippery fiberglass material). It is pretty old and somewhat textured. I have tried every conventional cleaning product as well as baking soda, vinegar and bleach. I have scrubbed it like crazy numerous times so I know it is "clean", however, it looks as though it has never been cleaned - absolutely disgusting. I don't even want to step into it. I've see some of the posts and would love some additional feedback as to what I could try. As a last resort I will use a refinishing kit, but I've got to beleive there is something that will take away the terribly grimy look. Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

Last year I cleaned my plastic lawn chairs. 3 years of sitting outside had them grungy beyond belief. I did them with lestoil right out of the bottle. I put it on my damp rag and rubbed. You would not believe how clean they came. Then I rinsed with the hose. On the other hand it did practically nothing for my planters.

I think when plastic gets so old, the grime gets right into the plastic and it won't come out. They do have a plastic paint out now and maybe that's the way to go or see if the paint made for fiberglass tubs will work on what you have

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 3:50PM
graywings123

It is probably as clean as you are going to get it. I would go on to the refinishing kit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustoleum

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 6:04PM
wiredgirl

Did you try the Mr. Clean eraser? That is what cleaned mine, and it was bad.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 9:07AM
kellyleeann

I hope that I can help...I have two options for you to try.

I have had luck with both....as well as the Mr. Clean Eraser as wiredgirl mentioned.

1. Soft Scrub with bleach and a Magic Eraser, wet the shower down, turn off the water and squeeze out the soft scrub on the floor. Take the magic eraser or Mr. Clean eraser and scrub.
2. Bounce fabric sheets, this also cleans the glass and side walls of your shower as well. I get in the shower turn on the water and let the shower get good and wet. I turn the water off and take about 5 sheets and start scrubbing...be careful not to slip!!

Hope this helps, let me know how it works!

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 1:37AM
jimbo23833

1. Get can of Easy-Off oven cleaner non-fume (blue can)
2. Shake can well and spray liberally on shower floor
3. Let sit overnight
4. Rinse thoroughly

I just did this on my textured plastic shower floor that I have been unable to clean with bleach, ammonia, acid, or other substances which I hesitate to mention.

The floor looks brand new. No more slipping and sliding on black soap scum.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 9:56AM
overgrowner

I used mr clean eraser and limeaway did the job

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 4:30AM
annedanie

Whoever posted the easy off oven spray tip. Thank you so much it really works great. I was worried I wouldn't get my security deposit back because of the condition of the shower and tub surround. Thank you again ðÂÂÂ

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 2:15PM
emma

How do your showers, toilets, ovens, etc. get so bad? I lived in my last home for 25 years and this one for 8 years, neither one has ever had to be cleaned like the ones posted about. I don't understand how they can get so bad.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 4:18PM
Schepp

EmmaR , If you actually read the first post, they purchased the property this way. And there are also rentals where the tenants don't take as good a care of our property as we would like. Please don't judge.

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 1:56PM
mdln

LOL, I also used oven cleaner and was amazed. Because it is a strong alkalai, please be careful using it (wear gloves, don't mix with other chemicals).

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 12:23AM
jules8

I also tried Easy-Off in the blue can and it worked amazingly well. I would recommend it. I made sure to keep it off of the fixtures though. I didn't want to risk any damage to them.

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 9:22AM
ScotGidley

Use few tips to clean a disgusting plastic shower floor, the tips are such as spry a dry shower floor and let it soak for few minutes, your next step is scrub the floor with nice scrubbing brush, and then rinse the plastic shower floor with warm water, you can also scrub the floor using soda with water. Apply the above and clean your plastic shower floor.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 6:42AM
More Discussions
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass
Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the...
clancyspad
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™