White dishes with brownish spots on outside?

pkramer60March 1, 2013

Hi all!

My everyday dishes are plain bright white that run through the dishwasher. While the eating surface is staying white and is clean, the outside or bottom of the plates are taking on a brownish tea colored stain. And not just the dishes but the white pet food bowls also. I use the Finish powerball detergent and Jet Dry.

Any thoughts on why this is happening and how I can clean this up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

I would try another dish washing cleaner to see if that helped. Is your water extremely hard water?

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 11:01PM
pkramer60

Emma, our water is Lake michigan so no softner is needed. I will give another brand a try. I was using Cascade but it was leaving a nasty white film on my glassware and the finish does not do that.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 8:57AM
emma

If it were me I would call a plumbing repair shop and ask about this. A plumber found the cause of a roof leak in my home and repaired it, when a roofer could not. Your dish washer my not be working right.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 9:22AM
NoobtoLaundry

While I don't exactly know what your talking about, I've had Coffee Cups stain other dishes in the dishwasher, while using Powerball.

You may be able to undo the Browning with a Bleach based detegent like Finish or Cascade Gel. I think Citric Acid (Lemishine, Finish Booster) can also remove it, but don't quote me on that..

On a side note, Does Powerball ever leave White Spotting on your Flatware? I've had that happen so many times, I just gave up on those tablets :(

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Need Suggestions: How Do I Get Smell Out Of Pet Bed?
Not sure where to post this. Needs suggestions. Got...
peabody1
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™