Formica Countertops

zipsterMarch 11, 2009

I just had new formica countertops installed in the kitchen and bathroom. I would like to know how to clean them to keep them new looking. So far I just wipe them down with water on a miracle cloth.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

I lived in a house with laminate counters for 13 years and that's basically how I cleaned them. For stains, I used soft scrub with bleach.

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 4:33PM
gracie01

I bought a bottle of Lysol for kitchens; for when I get raw meat juice, etc. on the countertops. Little did I know that it cleans great too.

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 12:56PM
brutuses

I've always just used soap and water and when I had a stain I'd use a little bleach. Mine are light beige and currently 21 years old. There is a product called Counter Magic, sold at HD that will keep them shiny.

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 12:04AM
PRO
modern life interiors

try making a paste with baking soda and water and use an old toothbrush, You can scrub out the stain and it won't scratch. It will look like nothing happened.

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 3:59PM
donnawb

I have always used soft scrub once a week, but every night I just wipe them down with soap and water. If I get a stain I use the baking soda also. It works great on red fruit drinks.

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 5:38PM
kim1994

Any all purpose cleaner or disinfectant and a cloth is fine. To give them a shine, buff on some Counter Top Magic (sold at Home Depot and most stores).

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 12:13AM
zipster

Thanks for all the advice. I will get that Counter Top Magic next trip to Home Depot.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 12:09PM
zipster

Thank you for suggesting Countertop Majic. I used it on my new counters and they look beautiful and are so easy to wipe up anything. Water just beads up. I love the stuff.

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™