cleaning wool needlepoint chairs

robertaleeMarch 23, 2007

My husband inherited an antique dining room set. It has chairs that were needlepointed in wool by a great aunt many years ago. They are nailed onto the chair cushions. Does anyone have a reccomendation on how to clean these? I have vacuumed them and a dry cleaner has "cleaned" a few, but they still need cleaning. I would not like to take them off, as I fear shrinkage and the task of putting them on again. Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

You can do the dry cleaning right on the chairs....but taking them off and having them cleaned would be the best bet.
If you find a dry cleaner who knows about antique fabrics you should not have nay trouble with shrinkage.
You could try rubbing them with corn starch and vacuuming well....it will remove a lot of the dirt and it's a "no harm" method....but if they are not cleaned to your liking, remove the covers and have them professionally cleaned.
Linda C

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 10:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patser

I would take them off the chair seat, head to a good cleaners, and asked that they be dry cleaned and blocked. Blocking will keep the shape square. Without blocking, they'll end up sort of diamond shaped. Should be no extra cost for blocking. Do not have them wet laundered. Most likely the yarn is wool and it'll shrink/fall apart.

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 7:36AM
More Discussions
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
momintennies
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™