Laundry after doing dirty remodeling work

theSchmettMarch 24, 2013

Hi everyone,

I've had a little scare with some nasty materials in my home. Nothing for sure, but there is some suspected asbestos material in my kitchen. It wasn't necessarily treated in the exact way I would've liked, but precautions were taken to keep it contained in one space. I've been cleaning up for awhile now, OCD having kicked in fully, and now I'm wondering how I should deal with the laundry.

To be clear and fair, we are talking about a very, very small amount of non-friable material being disturbed. I was not aware of how it was going to be treated during the remodel or I never would have moved forward in the way I did. But its done.

Some clothes are full of plaster dust, and others are just dirty from cleanup, and other work in that space. The worst of them are getting tossed - but what about the rest that maybe were incidentally exposed?

I suppose I am mostly concerned about the dryer. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

TheSchmett

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

I would worry about the insulation left in my machine and irritating the skin. I would take it a public laundry for the first time, then wash them again at home in your machine.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 1:11PM
mike_kaiser_gw

If my clothes were exposed to asbestos, I'd just toss them. Any other building materials come out in the laundry just fine, I've washed plenty of dirty clothes over the years.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:48AM
jannie

i agree with Emma, go to a public laundromat first.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 8:53AM
tinan

Wait, and contaminate the public laundry machine so the next person can suffer? I think if there is ANY doubt that the machine/air coming from the vents could be contaminated it is NOT OK to bring them to a laundromat and expose other people who don't even know if the potential risk.

My guess is that the real risk is insignificant BUT what I would do is call your local asbestos abatement program (every state has one - google asbestos abatement and your state or city) and ask the experts for advice. Maybe they will say throw away the clothes and maybe they will say toss them in the wash no problem.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass
Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the...
clancyspad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™