It's March 2013! How is your build progressing?

autumn.4March 1, 2013

I thought I'd kick it off since I love to look and can't wait to join!

Here's to milder weather (hope) clearing the way for great leaps in progress!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dpusa

Ours is in the final month - fireplace up!

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 8:25AM
popeda

Stairs completed; took DH a while to do them, but we are pleased with the results. We went non-trendy carpeting since we have little tykes and old folks here. DH is off today to buy our first trim material and will start with the kitchen.

You all know our story, finishing off bits while we live here. Each task seems like such an improvement; if everything had been done before move-in, we would have missed some little triumphs I think.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 10:39AM
equallydivided

Finally!!!!! It doesn't look like much right now, but we got the final approval and are moving trees! Did I mention it took 8 months for the bank to make a decision?

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 11:50AM
equallydivided

And now, the picture ...

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 11:52AM
Ray72

Rain has slowed us down, but they are making progress!

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 12:55PM
sanveann

Dpusa, stunning ceilings!!!

We are about to get our third (and hopefully final) preliminary plans.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 6:40PM
sweet.reverie

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is a link that might be useful: Build Blog

This post was edited by sweet.reverie on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 23:13

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 7:47PM
phoggie

I would have moved in this weekend, but there is too much snow to get to where my furniture is stored...hoping for next week if the weather gods will cooperate. I went to the house and did some cleaning but have two gals coming Wednesday to help with things I am unable to do...also new furniture being delivered that day. I am so excited!

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 8:52PM
kateshome

We just got our second set of preliminary plans. We think this is the plan, with just a few tweaks!

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 10:44PM
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

Lovely to see everyone's progress!

Phoggie, I'm praying for you to get some warm dry weather so you can get moved in.

Sweet_Reverie, I've been following your blog - even have it bookmarked. I would be posting comments to your blog but I don't happen to have any of the kinds of accounts one must have to post comments there... and setting up yet another website account strikes me as kind of like getting yet another store "loyalty card." I've got too dang many of the things already! LOL! But I did want to let you know that I'm taking a huge amount of vicarious pleasure in watching your home take shape. How are the interior room sizes feeling to you thus far? And does the floor plan "flow" the way you had hoped?

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 10:37AM
Redsgal14

We are about a month from moving in but seems like there is a lot left to do. Stressing about every decision at this point. How can I stop stressing and just enjoy it?

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 1:25PM
LOTO

We had about 4" of sleet then 8" of snow on top of it and no melting until today so there hasn't been any work done in 2 weeks. I almost didn't get out after taking this photo..gonna be in the 50's and 60's this week so the snow and ice should melt fast.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 4:25PM
sweet.reverie

Bev: That is odd! I wonder why you could not comment as a guest? I will look at my blog settings. Yes! I actually LOVE every single interior space. When we first walked through, I started to tear up looking at the girls rooms because they are just so perfect! The two windows make a huge difference and I am just so happy I found this board and you! lol. It will be a cozy house, just what we want. The only slightly tricky room is the master closet because there is a supporting wall for the stairs that cuts right through the center of the room but it is nothing that cannot be fixed with some creative cabinets and rods. I am getting overwhelmed with the task of decorating the whole thing! I will link my pinterest below so you can have an idea of the look we are going for. Kind of a cottage look I guess. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My pinterest.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 5:42PM
kaljr82

Hardwoods are completely installed.
Kichen cabinets and bathroom cabinets went in over the weekend. Tomorrow our custom Master Vanity will be put together. Also, on Friday all of the trim and interior doors were delivered. We are about a month away from move-in!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Blog

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:31AM
pbx2_gw

@ Redsgal14 - we are in the same boat.
Got a 'beta' date from our builder for last friday of March delivery.

We're more stressed about our packing than the finished build if you can believe it. haha.

But looking at your pic, our status looks similar:

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 11:33AM
Redsgal14

pbx2 - love your kitchen! Nice to know someone is in the same boat. I'm mainly stressed about all of the decisions I made 6 months ago coming to life. Yikes!
I'm getting a quote to have someone pack us. Have you considered it? Hopefully it won't be too expensive...

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 12:28PM
pbx2_gw

@Redsgal14 Thank you! We are envious of your island!

I know what you mean about decisions coming to life.
We actually were debating if we should've put can lights in our open concept dining room - after we were looking for a chandelier for it this weekend - that would have been a costly oversight had we not come to our senses.

As for movers - thank you for the tip but fortunately, we live in a condo right now so everything is mostly packed in boxes already in storage. It's all the personal nick nacks & current day's silverware & dishes that we have to pack ourselves - which is driving is crazy.

haha.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 1:02PM
zone4newby

Dh met with the tree guy this morning. They'll clear trees from the building and septic sites on Weds and Thursday, and hopefully break ground early next week. We're racing the thaw-- if we don't get our foundation in before spring load restrictions go into effect for the roads, we'll likely be stuck waiting until about the 1st of May.

Here's hoping for cold weather and clear skies!

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 3:07PM
building_a_house

Stone install started over the weekend...

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 4:17PM
building_a_house

Another view

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 4:20PM
building_a_house

One more...

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 4:22PM
lucy0214

Everyone's houses look so good! Hopefully we will be in by the end of the month.
Kitchen cabinets in

Patio wall

Probably my favorite thing-paper towel holder and sink

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 10:32PM
kath0000

I can't believe I can finally join this thread! We've been dreaming of this since 2005! Finally, we are in escrow on a lot and are starting preliminary designs this coming week! YAHOOO!!! So excited. We plan to build big (about 7000sf) on a spectacular acre overlooking a golf course community in Orange County, CA.

Picture is of our view.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 1:05AM
Redsgal14

lucy0214, I've got the same glass cabinets at the top and I had the paper towel holder built-in also! So funny that you sound as excited as I am about this little feature. It's the little things...

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 4:18PM
293summer

Lucy0214 ~ I had seen a photo of your home on another thread I believe. Lovely inside and out! Anyway, was wondering if you might tell me if it was a stock plan from somewhere. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 4:51PM
lucy0214

Still need cedar shutters, screen porch,stone columns, and gable pediments
Thanks y'all! It is a stock plan I see everywhere but never could find a real picture of one. It's called vida de la confianza. I have been more excited about that sink and paper towel holder than anything else in the whole house!

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 7:33PM
293summer

Lucy,thanks for the info and photo. Again the house is absolutely lovely! You must be thrilled to being so close to move-in day. By the way, I love that sink too! Best of luck!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:15AM
hough2012

We closed on the construction loan on Monday. Finalizing the plot plan and then on to the construction meeting. Can't wait for the shovel to hit the ground. :)

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 12:27PM
pors996

Roof framing started yesterday, still trying to finalize some details on windows. So awesome to finally see the rooms.

Kitchen

Halllway

Family Room

Dining room

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:04PM
pbx2_gw

Snuck in our build last night & caught a glimpse of this:

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:32PM
LOTO

The snow has finally melted enough to get started again and the framing crew brought their job trailer out this afternoon and will start putting down the plates and getting the subfloor joists nice and level tomorrow.
The wife and I did get a few things accomplished during the down time though. We ordered all KitchenAid
appliances down to the garbage disposal and with the store discounts and KA rebates we are pretty happy.
We picked out the Kraft Maid cabinets and are just waiting for the Kraft Maid incentives to come out before we order. We are also building a 32'x45' insulated detached garage/man cave and got that package all picked out.
Now all we need is a few weeks of nice weather.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:41PM
sweet.reverie

Ready for a roof on Monday!

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 12:23AM
zone4newby

The tree-clearing is done, and the surveyor comes today.

The view from the road. The trees in the center of the photo are very old. I have a thing for really old trees.

The house site.

It's so nice to move from planning to doing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our house blog

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 10:29AM
renton123

We have our working plans finished and are currently waiting for the bids to come back from our three builder finalists :)
I hate waiting...

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 5:10PM
renton123

building_a_house (My Page): What kind of stone is that? Love it!

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 8:34PM
sweet.reverie

Zone: Your site looks so pretty! How big is your lot?

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 10:39PM
zone4newby

Thanks Sweet.Reverie!

We have 10 acres. I never thought I'd own so much land. We feel very lucky.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 10:29AM
njasmine1

I'm jealous, nah good luck everyone. My house has not start yet, but they put a temporary light pole up on Friday.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 2:58PM
flgargoyle

I haven't posted a pic in quite some time- it's been a wet winter! I finally got the tin on most of the roof. The garage is just in tar paper while I finish the gable end. I won't go up on a tin roof once it is done- too slippery, and I'm prone to vertigo, so roof work is a slow scary process for me.

Our house will be a Craftsman- Low Country style when finished. The front columns will be brick part way up, with the typical fat tapered square columns the rest of the way. There will be heavy timber brackets for the gable end roof. Siding will be Hardie clapboards, with board and batten on the gables. I'm going to gussy up what is basically a small, simple ranch; ideal for empty-nesters.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 8:25AM
motherof3sons

Everyone has made great progress! Love all the pics shared.

Flgargoyle - We are on the same page for simple ranch homes. Ours is so small compared to all the others in the subdivision. No large roof lines or soaring ceilings for us. We are empty nesters, too and do not want to rent a cherry picker to change a lightbulb!

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 4:01PM
autumn.4

Flgargoyle-great progress. I have been wondering about you and how things were coming. Good to see an updated pic. :)

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 7:32PM
bowyer123

I haven't been diligent about keeping up with these threads, but we have moved in. There are still a lot of details to be corrected, but we rented our house we were living in and had to move. Here are a few pictures, please excuse the mess!

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:00PM
laurajane02

Our cedar house:

Dining area:

Slide down:

Slide at the bottom:

Downstairs play area for kids (where the slide ends):

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:01PM
bowyer123

Dining room....chandelier needs some adjustments....

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:03PM
bowyer123

Master tub. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to add multiple pictures from my computer.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:05PM
bowyer123

Master bathroom...ignore the price tags on the mirrors!

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:07PM
bowyer123

Kitchen....again, please ignore the mess, we are unpacking!

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:10PM
bowyer123

Master shower

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:12PM
kellyeng

Bowyer, you're going to love your double dishwashers!

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:13PM
agentslim

Roof is finally done!

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 10:05PM
ash6181

Bowyer123- your house looks great! I love the chandelier in the dining room, would you be willing to share where you purchased it, brand, etc.?

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 11:06PM
kath0000

We are officially in escrow as of today! Yahooooo! We also gave the architect his retainer. So the process begins...

This post was edited by kath0000 on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 1:51

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 1:44AM
bowyer123

Our cabinet crown moulding went up yesterday after these pictures were taken.

Kellyeng...we already do! When we got here, we wash all of the glasses we had moved from the old house beacuse it had been a while. In the meantime we were loading up the other one with our regular daily dishes...love it. :-)

Ash 6181, the chandelier is made by Salento. I attached a link and hope it will work. We also have another fixture in our foyer and a sconce that is in the same 'family' as the dining room fixture. We are very happy with all three of them and felt like they were very reasonably priced. We did buy locally and didn't have to ship this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salento Lighting

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 9:02AM
threeapples

The houses and properties all look great.

We are struggling with our hardwood floors now, as many of you already know from my other post. Otherwise things are going well--the limestone fireplace in the basement is looking nice and the master bedroom ceiling is done. We love it.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 10:49AM
nr81inIA

We've got drywall up ready to be taped and finished. Siding is started on the back of the house. We signed off on our flooring order on Saturday. Everything at the house seems to be going really well, but our builder is concerned that our driveway/road (almost 1/4 mile gravel lane) will not be able to be put in due to all the moisture we have here right now. The ground is now thawing out so the site is an absolute mess, and I have a feeling we will be facing a delay in the very near future because they won't be able to get delivery trucks back there to drop off more materials. We're just keeping any eye on the weather and hoping for some warm, dry days ahead. Good luck to everyone else!!

My big windows over the whirlpool tub.

Our very own lake!!

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 1:10PM
Oaktown

It's really impressive to see so much thought that has gone into so many homes that are so different -- you all are looking great!

threeapples, that's the bedroom ceiling? Wow! Hope you would be willing to share more photos when you are finished.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 3:13PM
threeapples

Oaktown, yes, it's the bedroom. I'm happy to share more photos as things progress.
All the images here look wonderful;its so fun to see everyone's progress.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 3:34PM
LOTO

We have wood and an actual floor to walk on tomorrow!!!

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 7:40PM
threeapples

Not sure why my other picture is sideways. Anyhow, here are a few other images, one of the basement fireplace going in and the other looking from the hallway toward the foyer. The basement fireplace still needs the limestone hearthstone beneath the stones toward the bottom, and in this photo you cannot see the cute firebox toward the right or the wood stove that is covered in paper.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 8:41PM
downsy

Great progress pics everyone! It seems like there are more photos posted this month. Three apples I wanted to say that what I could see of your staircase looks really good! I hope all that worked out for you and it must have since it looks finished. Boyer - the home looks really beautiful on the Inside and I hope you'll post one of the outside too. Reverie-wow your house is going fast! I enjoy your blog. Lucy - love the look of your home and property. Good luck to all!

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 11:12PM
downsy

Double post

This post was edited by downsy on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 23:15

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 11:13PM
threeapples

I will take better photos of the stairs when the cement in the foyer dries. :)

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 11:27PM
threeapples

I will take better photos of the stairs when the cement in the foyer dries. :)

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 11:28PM
pbx2_gw

Snuck into the house again last night & saw they had installed the drum light in the living rm & stained the stair hand rails...2.5 weeks away & still a lot to be done.

This post was edited by pbx2 on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 10:06

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 10:05AM
kaljr82

Kitchen Granite has been installed and all interior doors and trim have been installed.
We are getting so close, but things seem to be going SOOO slow right now.
We are supposed to be in no later than April 15th, but I am feeling like it won't happen. Custom vanity still has to be built, shower has to be tiled, gutters have to be put on, from pillars have to be built, touch ups, appliances, plumbing fixtures installed.
Hopefully they get on their game.
In the mean time, we pack!

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures of interior

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 10:06AM
katrina161

@pbx2 can you tell me the manufacturer of your pendant light? It looks like the one we picked out but it's always hard to tell when you're selecting from a catalog. Thank you in advance!

@kaljr82 LOVE your kashmir white..we are looking at slabs this weekend.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 11:07AM
pbx2_gw

@katrina161 - it's a Restoration Hardware ROUND SHADE PENDANT measuring about 25.5" in diameter - that we picked up at their outlet in NoVa.

Here is a link that might be useful: ROUND SHADE PENDANT

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 11:52AM
katrina161

Thank you @pbx2!

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 11:59AM
LOTO

Finally have a floor to walk on...AdvanTech tongue and groove flooring and it is glued and screwed and tomorrow we will have some walls up.

This post was edited by LOTO on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 19:58

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 7:50PM
ash6181

Thanks for the lighting info bowyer123.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 8:28PM
merri411

Need some input! How long does it takes for a home to be completed once the Sheetrock texture is complete? Our home builder keep telling us that its too soon to tell. Also did I mention we WERE scheduled to close March 30th! Any comments would be helpful.
Thxs!

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 10:04PM
myhappyspace

The brick is about half way done on the house. This winter has not been ideal for it!

Cabinets are going in this week:

Master bedroom:

they still need to finish the tile around the outside of the shower:

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 9:33AM
building_a_house

Cement+Fiber board has started going up! Primer color gray (for now!!!)

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 10:30PM
building_a_house

One more view...

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 10:32PM
sweet.reverie

Roof! We chose a grey color and I like it.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 11:01PM
MGDawg

building_a_house: You used all James Hardie products for your fiber cement? From your post, I take it you went for the simple primed option - is there a choice on primer tint/color? Lastly - can you identify the stone you picked?

Thanks a bunch!

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 8:01AM
building_a_house

Just noticed there are multiple inquiries about my build. Sorry for the delay in replying.

The stone is made by Horizon.

The fiber cement product is Certainteed and is their standard primer color gray.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 9:53AM
MGDawg

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize Certainteed had a board and batten style.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 11:37AM
building_a_house

That's what I was told. Will have to double check with my builder though.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 12:15PM
dpusa

Two weeks out

Exterior

Shot of one end of the Master Bath

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 1:05PM
njasmine1

Look something happen again! I doubt anything else will happen for a few days because the permit will not be available to march 21.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:39PM
southernmum

Things are finally getting going! I walked through every room in our house today! GIDDY!!!

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 11:10PM
kaljr82

Custom vanity was put together this weekend. Just waiting on one cabinet for it to be finished off. The missing part will just be open shelving.

We also got all of the trim installed and painted. Very little left to do. I think the big things are getting plumbing finished up and getting the gutters put on.
Really hope we are in by our April 15th deadline!

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 2:57PM
Eden-Manor

PBX2-you must be in my neck of the woods. I go to that outlet every week and haven't had any luck finding that light! Your place looks awesome!

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 9:14PM
pbx2_gw

@Eden-Manor- thank you for the kind words!

We're actually in Richmond but husband's family is in NoVa & LoCo, so we're always @ that RH outlet.

We lucked out on that drum pendant, a Foucault chandelier & our dual Hutton vanities. So it's helped with our build budget a lot to achieve the modern rustic look we're after.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 12:18AM
sparkler39

I'm so excited to find this thread. We signed the contracts last month and the builder is set to break ground next week (weather pending). I've never owned a home before let alone custom-built one and I'm super excited. Seeing all of your photos just makes me even more giddy!! :)

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 12:27AM
Spottythecat

Wow....all projects are really moving along. I can't wait to join in!
dupusa - I really love those chocolate brown shutters and stone combo...who supplied your stone and are the shutters composite wood or real wood?
Thanks!
Fun to watch all the builds become homes!
Pam

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 10:46AM
dpusa

Spottythecat - The shutter wood; hmmm not sure! The color you see went on incorrectly (SW Black Fox) due to a builder error so we changed it to Sherwin Williams Caviar instead and that made it pop.

The stone is a Tennessee Field Stone in a Ashlar cut. Not sure where was sourced from as our builder got it.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 12:57PM
Spottythecat

Thanks dpusa....we were looking at Turkish Coffee for our shutters...looks pretty close.

For all those Restoration Hardware outlet shoppers...one opening here in FL...it's 2 hours away..is it worth the drive? Good stuff? Good prices?

Thanks!
Pam

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 2:11PM
293summer

Would love to see more of your home Pbx2

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 4:31PM
Momto3kiddos

It feels like things are moving much more slowly at this point. Here a a few shots of the exterior, dining room trim detail, coffered ceilings in family room, window seat in game room and master vanity cabinets.

And lastly, the granite I have on hold....

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 5:06PM
LOTO

The rain has really been slowing down the framers but it is spring in the Ozarks so anything can happen......6-8" of snow forecast for later in the week :(
The taller windows you see are in the vaulted great room and have transoms above them and open into the screened porch. The arch top window area is the breakfast/informal dining area off of the kitchen.
With a little luck the framers will get done this week and trusses are coming Thursday.

This post was edited by LOTO on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 19:04

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 6:48PM
jean61

Everyone's home looks great. I wish I could say we have progress since the builder quit in September 2012 but that isn't the case. We have had more Engineers or County Inspectors in & out of our home it's crazy. We have issues but hopefully we are on the road to total repairs. All the bad soil from the foundation walls have been removed. Foundation walls cleaned and re-waterproofed. New drainage system being installed this week. After that they start busting out the basement slab and remove the gravel and 18" of soil and fill with all gravel. Then repour the slab......if the wall cracks don't show any movement from the monitors they have in place...if not, we are good to go and start back to building--instead of deconstructing!

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 8:31PM
gaonmymind

Wow so many gorgeous homes! I see pbx and threeapples still hanging in there with me. Beautiful homes of course.

Well we are two months delayed but finally move in next week. I disappeared for awhile because the stress of one subcontractor. Overall our builder has been great and so have all the subcontractors. Even with the delay I know I am blessed to be moving into my dream home!

I will post more pics once we have the walk through over the weekend. Here is a pic of the kitchen with the 17 ft island that I am in love with! (ignore the orange that is a base coat for gray)

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 9:17PM
gek711

Lovely inside and out!

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 12:07AM
Momto3kiddos

Wow ga! I remember when you were at planning stages. It looks great. I cannot wait to see more pics. My island is 14' and won't be installed until next week. Now I can "see" it a bit, thanks to your pictures. Good luck wrapping things up.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 7:52AM
phoggie

Moved in and loving it!....pics can be found in this site.....Phoggie's house. Thanks to all who gave me such good advice and encouragement ~~

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 11:00AM
kaljr82

Well, we are supposed to be getting ready to move in on April 15th, but nobody had been at the house since Saturday.
Still so much to be done, and I don't think they will be able to finish it (even though we already told our land lord we would be out by the 15th per our General contractors assurances)

Things that still need to be done:
Carpeting in 4 rooms, basically all of the plumbing, fireplace, master bathroom shower tile, gutters, front porch column trim, a tiny bit of trim and then the touchups.

Seems like way too much.
Has anyone else experienced this?? Maybe 3.5 weeks is enough time, but since basically nothing has happened at all this week I am worried.
Congrats to moving in phoggie! So jealous!

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 11:06AM
tashasilvester

You all are progressing really well! Some beautiful house pics. too. Great going!

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 2:59AM
zone4newby

We hope to get our permit on Monday and break ground next week. Fingers crossed!

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 10:01AM
zone4newby

We hope to get our permit on Monday and break ground next week. Fingers crossed!

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 10:02AM
flgargoyle

Has anyone noticed that we are now over 100 posts on this thread? That's way more than these monthly threads have had in recent years. Apparently the combination of spring coming, and a bit better economy is getting the house-building industry moving again. Yay!

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 6:17AM
LOTO

The rain and snow this week has been hard on progress and the forecast is for 6-8" of snow on Saturday night.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 7:00AM
pbx2_gw

@gaonmymind - love your island pendants! So glam & fab!

@swtceleb - thanks for your interest!

They tested lighting last week.

This post was edited by pbx2 on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 2:41

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:19PM
sweet.reverie

Siding starting (just primed now, will be painted grey w/white trim):

We are doing hardi shingle over every inch of the house, very happy with this choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Build Blog

This post was edited by sweet.reverie on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 11:55

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 10:42PM
LOTO

Your hardi shinges look very nice and what color are they? We are using hardi shingles to accent a couple of gable ends only..they are VERY pricey compared to the hardi lap siding.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 5:57AM
jannz77

So glad to have stumbled on this thread... so helpful for those of us building and are just behind the rest of you with regard to schedule/decisions to be made.

I have a question for "building_a_house" ;

I saw the picture you posted on your exterior stone being installed. Does it have a name ..??.. The picture I'm referring to is grey stone with some yellow also. I would like something like that -- grey with some yellow.

Not sure what part of the country you live in -- I'm in N.TX -- so not sure how available stone is across our country... but maybe a supplier / quarry would recognize the name.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 11:20AM
sweet.reverie

LOTO: They are just primed right now. We will be painting them grey with white trim. The total siding cost was 22K including labor. It was our one splurge. :)

ETA: we did briefly consider doing just shingle accents but we decided our gables were too big.

This post was edited by sweet.reverie on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 12:00

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 11:30AM
jannz77

RE: Kitchen Cabinets - with glass cabinets at top

To "lucy0214" & " bowyer123"

Can you share how tall your ceilings are in your kitchen..??.. and how tall those lighted glass cabinets are.

I've been considering this approach for our new build and would love to see more pictures of how that looks by the range... presuming you carried that all the way through the kitchen.

Also "bowyer123" -- I need to do a layout similar to what you've done with some wall double ovens and microwave; Is your microwave comfortable to use at that height..??..

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 12:06PM
bowyer123

Jannz77,

My ceilings are 10 feet tall. The lower cabinets are 36" tall and the uppers are 31' from the bottom of the upper door to the ceiling. Also, the doors are different sizes near the ovens if you compare this picture with the ones I previously posted. We love the double ovens and separate cook top, more than a range. The height is better for us and 2 full-sized overs is preferable for us considering our cook top is only 36" wide.

The bottom of the microwave door is at 59" high from the floor. This is a just a bit higher than is ideal for my wife and kids, but we manage just fine. The frame around the microwave adds 3-1/2" inches to the height of the bottom of the door. I suppose you could do without the frame, but we like it.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 5:22PM
olivesmom

Sweet.reverie: I've been waiting to see your siding going up. How exciting for you! Can't wait to see it once you have it painted.

And...just curious, did you ever consider cedar shingles? If so, did you opt for the hardie ones due to cost (I have no idea which is more expensive) or due to maintenance/ looks?

This post was edited by olivesmom on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 21:00

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 5:42PM
sweet.reverie

Olivesmom: We did not really consider cedar simply for maintenance. :) We never priced it out.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:16PM
LOTO

Well I got to shovel snow all morning at my new build so the framers could work tomorrow...with owner/builder someone has to do the dirty work sometime....sore and tired and will be in bed early tonight.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:32PM
LOTO

double post

This post was edited by LOTO on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 19:35

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:33PM
autumn.4

pbx2-love that graceful arch on the front porch. Very pretty!

Sweet.Reverie - coming right along! Love the shingles!

bowyer-would you mind sharing your window dimensions for the ones flanking your range? Outside dimension as well as glass dimension?

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:37PM
Redsgal14

Our rangetop surround was installed. I've been stressing about this for weeks. Seriously stressing over everything at this point and must stop. Is it possible to enjoy it during the last month?

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:59PM
downsy

Reds gal - I am really hoping you post more photos of your home. Your kitchen stone detail over the range is awesome! And YES that final month just might be the worst in the building process, as you're just plain tired of the whole thing and ready to have the decisions over and no more surprises!

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 10:19PM
downsy

Double posT

This post was edited by downsy on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 22:22

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 10:20PM
lucy0214

Everyone's homes are looking so lovely.
Redsgal that stone is fabulous.
Ill also need one of those slides in my next house like laurajanes.

Jannz-My ceilings are 10ft in the kitchen. I'm not sure how tall any of the cabinets are( terrible I know). I just gave them a sketch and they built them. Probably standard sizes.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 10:57PM
pbx2_gw

Posted by Autumn.4 (My Page) on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 19:37
pbx2-love that graceful arch on the front porch. Very pretty!

Thank you for the nice words.
We're pretty happy with the gull wing sides too.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 12:54AM
autumn.4

Oohhhh! Very very nice pbx2! Love the stone and the shingle siding too. Sharp home!

redsgal-just keep staring at that beautiful stone surround and maybe all of your stress will melt away! That is gorgeous!

So many nice homes going up. I am getting so antsy to join you all. :)

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:43AM
lucy0214

Everyone's homes are looking so lovely.
Redsgal that stone is fabulous.
Ill also need one of those slides in my next house like laurajanes.

Jannz-My ceilings are 10ft in the kitchen. I'm not sure how tall any of the cabinets are( terrible I know). I just gave them a sketch and they built them. Probably standard sizes.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 6:19AM
Eden-Manor

pbx2-what materials did you use? Colors? Love, love, love!

We just broke ground on Friday and our footers go in tomorrow.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 9:05PM
pbx2_gw

Posted by Eden-Manor (My Page) on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 21:05
pbx2-what materials did you use? Colors? Love, love, love!
We just broke ground on Friday and our footers go in tomorrow.

Hi Eden-Manor - thank you soo much for the delightful comments.Congrats on your ground breaking!

Our materials: are certainteed heather grey siding/shingle & the certainteed roof in georgetown grey.

Jeldwen windows in wedgewood.
Brick columns & foundation wall.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 9:41PM
pbx2_gw

Delete double post

This post was edited by pbx2 on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 21:57

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 9:55PM
sweet.reverie

Shed Dormer has shingles, weeee!

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 2:53AM
pbx2_gw

We got our Certificate of Occupancy this past Wednesday from the County & can legally move in now if we wanted.
Of course, the Bank has to send their inspector out too, no all clears yet.

This time next week- 1st weekend of April - we will be moving in.

It took 228 days so far & the last couple weeks have been just a mad dash to the finish line for our crew.

Awaiting the grass, final tweaks & cleanup - then walk-thru on Tuesday...

This post was edited by pbx2 on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 23:40

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 1:08AM
pbx2_gw

Delete-double post again via tablet. Sorry!

This post was edited by pbx2 on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 1:14

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 1:09AM
zone4newby

Our foundation is dug, and the concrete guys are there today. We hope to begin framing next week! Yippee!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our house blog

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 10:58AM
More Discussions
How to cut back on cost
We have 6 kids, 4 still at home. We want a large house...
mommabearof5
Savings - basement bar with laminate
Working on finding ways to get closer to our original...
Mini Soda
Looking for ideas on stone veneer layout on front of house
We are in the stages of finalizing the design &...
ddux97
Onyx brand vanity top in Winter or Terrazo?
Does anyone have photos of these? I'm not having good...
brodyt
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™