polypropylene rug 'disaster'

pasternakMarch 15, 2007

In a fit of enthusiasm I decided to wash my multi coloured polypropylene rug. Washed fine and I set it out to dry on the lawn but in the process of drying it has stretched/buckled. We have very hot summers here (Australia) so perhaps I should not have dried it in the sun ? Anyway, it is a bit of a problem now. I smooth it out several times a day, even tried to stick it down to the carpet at the corners with velcro stick on dots (didn't work) and although it is not valuable I really just like it and would like to restore it somehow. I have also tried damping it a little and weighting it down overnight with encyclopedias but that didn't help much either. No washing instructions on the rug itself. Does anyone have any suggestions or do I just live with it ? I was actually wondering whether it might be worth washing it again and trying to "set" it back into shape while it is still wet. I don't want to make things worse though !

Any tips or clues VERY much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

Do you mean a carpet/mat type of "rug" or do you mean a blanket type of "rug"? I'm trying to picture washing a mat.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 10:12AM
bud_wi

Are you talking about one of those polypropylene doormats that are so popular? How did you wash it? I think they can just be hosed off to clean them. Or sprayed with detergent and rinsed with a hose. Did you do it differently? Are you sure it was a poly rug and not jute?

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 9:35PM
pasternak

Sorry, I think in the US you call a "rug" what we in Australia would call a carpet. What I am talking about is a large rug or mat about 10 ft by 6 ft that goes on top of the carpet. I washed it by putting it on the patio then using a hose and washing liquid then hosing down to rinse.I then draped it over the washing line ( hills hoist type) until most of the excess water had dropped out then laid flat on the lawn to dry off. It dried quite quickly and seemed fine until I brought it in and replaced it on the living room floor. Then it became apparent that it was no longer "square" - it seemed to be sort of warped or buckled. The texture, colours etc seemed fine though. It is a fairly common type rug and I am pretty sure it is acrylic or polypropylene type fibre that is a cheap version of the proper wool oriental type rugs. I can re-stretch it back to shape by hand to get out the buckles (which I do a hundred times a day because it annoys me so but then a little later it creeps back to the original buckles. I have concrete base floors throughout - if I had wooden floorboards under the carpet I would be tempted to just nail the jolly thing down !

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 12:10AM
More Discussions
easiest way to clean silk plants?
I have a bunch of silk plants, mostly in my kitchen...
drcindy
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
How Do You Clean Whirlpool Jets??
We're building a new house and have ordered a whirlpool...
MrsBigE
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
removing dog urine smell
My aister, who works full time, has had a live in nanny....
cearab
Sponsored Products
Floortex Ecotex Charcoal 24x36-inch Rib Entrance Mat
Overstock.com
Cielos Bath Rug 24" x 36" - BUTTER
$54.90 | Horchow
Indoor/ Outdoor South Beach Beige Medallions Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Nanimarquina | Dolce Rug
YLiving.com
Green & Navy Juniper Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Prairie Collection Rug 4' x 6' - AMBER
$1,099.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™