Vaccum Cleaner to pickup Human Hair

kanuMarch 23, 2009

Can someone suggest a good vaccum cleaner to be used on Hardwood floors. Unfortunately I have long hair & shed a lot. Also have allergies. My floors are very dusty, so will need a vaccum with good sucking power.

My previous cleaner used to use a Yellow canister Vaccum. Don't know the brand that did a great job.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I wish someone knew. My daughter has long hair and it collects on the rollers of my current Bisswel vacuum. I end up cutting her hair off with a razor blade. Off the vacuum, not off her head. Haha.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 8:51AM
dilly_dally

Since you are talking about hardwood floors, would it not be better to use a Swiffer first for the hair? To save money use a slightly damp paper towel instead of buying their dusting sheets.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 12:49PM
duajones

Take a look at the Riccar Sunburst, inexpensive and real powerful with a nice floor tool

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 4:08PM
chinacat_sunflower

I'm also a long hair, as is my husband - and there's nothing you can do about hair in the rollers, you just have to add 'clean the roller brush' to the maintenance list.

I love my Dyson, it's not the lightest thing in the world, but it gets the cat hair, the people hair, the dander, the dust mites, everything : ) - you just turn off the roller brush when doing hard-surface floors.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 4:12PM
vac-collector

You probably want a canister vacuum - since you'll never have to cut the hair off the roller. I would suggest looking at a Miele Naturell (about $229) which is quiet, excellent filtration, fantastic suction, and comes with a combination floor/rug tool that's excellent on area rugs and bare floor surfaces. Also comes with the small attachments for crevices and furniture. My cousin bought one and she loves it.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 3:48PM
kanu

Currently I use my vaccum hose to suck the longer hair first & then I use a Wash Cloth with the Swifter Mop stick to get the rest.
Then use a wet mop to mop the floors. The process is slow & time consuming.

I was hoping I could find a light weight Stick Vaccuum without rollers that would suck the dust & the hair in one shot.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 4:58PM
graywings123

The poster here named Kitchen Detective posted a link to a backpack vac that I am fascinated by. It does not have a roller brush and weights only 9 pounds. Here is a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Backpack vacuum

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 8:07AM
geguymw

If you are just going to use the vacuum cleaner to clean floors, I would suggest a canister vacuum. You could even get by with a compact canister. If you just want a suction-only canister, you do not have to spend alot of money for something like a Miele. Also, super suction is not required to clean floors. All canisters have enough suction to clean floors.

Look at the Sears Kenmore Magic Blue. It is a compact canister that has alot of power and is easy to use. It has very good filtration. These can be had for about $110, but are sometimes on sale.

Another basic and reliable vacuum would be the Eureka-Sanitaire Mighty Mite. They are easy to use and can filter very well with an optional HEPA filter. The only thing I do not like about it is that it can be on the loud side in a room with no rug. The more durable model would be the Sanitaire SC3683A. You should be able to find one for around $110.

At some Walmart stores, you will find a GE canister with many attachments. I think this vacuum is a very good performer with very good filtration. It also comes with a light-duty power nozzle for low pile carpeting. They are priced about $155.

You can find higher priced vacuum cleaners from Riccar, Simplicity, and Miele. The sister brands Riccar and Simplicity are going to have a better warranty.

As you can see, it will be easy to find a suction-only canister.

If you just want to vacuum floors, you might also try the Bissell Verses stick vac. It will do a good job on floors and is powerful. You can find it under $75.

Long hair is going to be a problem with vacuum cleaners that use a brushroll. Some vacuum cleaners are more of a problem than others.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
shower doors nightmare
Hello there. My boyfriend is about to sell his house,...
vacuumfreak
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™