How do Appraisals Work on Building a New Home?

CrossfoxxMarch 8, 2014

Hello

My wife and I are building a home and want to borrow $140,000 to build - the appraisal on the blue prints is $153,000. The bank says we need a down payment of $30,600 and they will loan us $122,400.

Based on what I know, this does not sound right.

My understanding is then we would only need $17,600 for a down payment, and the bank is wrong. We still only need $140,000 to build, but the bank says we have to make up the difference to the appraised value. ($153,000 - $122,400 = $30,600)

The bank is telling us that had we received a lower appraisal, closer to $140,000 that we would have had a lower down payment.

I've never heard of it working this way....any information on how this works would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

The bank is always right. It's their money.

Do you have a healthy contingency fund factored in also? You're going to need one. Especially with that lowball price. Everything you want will be an upgrade.

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 9:20AM
nostalgicfarm

For construction loans, you need 20% Think how much riskier these loans are for the bank. They could be at 122K before any of the interior finishes are even started just from a few materials/labor items increasing during the construction period. That leaves them with a house that they can't sell without loosing money.

How did you come up with $17,600? That is about 9% of the appraised value.

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 9:55AM
dekeoboe

The bank believes the house will end up costing you $153,000 to build. They require 20% for a down payment, which is how they came up with the $30,600. ($30,600 is 20% of $153,000)

In order to borrow $140,000 you would need to be building a house that would cost $175,000 and you would need a down payment of $35,000.

How much did you think the house was going to cost to build? How much do you have for a down payment?

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Modifying Master Bedroom Entry
This plan includes a nice hallway that runs across...
burbmomoftwo
Would you give this to the architect - take 2?
I posted a floor plan last week to get input before...
boonieshome
Floor Plan Review
Can anyone give some feedback on our floor plan? I...
kymberie
Ventless fireplace
I know there is a fireplace section on the forum, but...
okla1706
Should I add a window in the dining room?
We are going to have a long narrow dining room, husband...
Bridget Howe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™