Floor Cleaner?

andi2928March 27, 2010

I dont like the smell of floor cleaners like mr clean or lysol... is there something else I can use? Would Ivory or Dawn dish soap with touch of bleach work?

I have tile floors... thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Andi2928, it sounds like you would love steam cleaning - it uses only extremely hot water to clean, so no soaps or detergents to smell or leave residue. You can buy steamers at all price points from as low as $50. Do some research here and on the internet with the search terms "steam vapor cleaning."

Bookmark   March 27, 2010 at 9:26AM
mustangs81

Ditto Graywings' suggestion. I love steam cleaning the floors. The steam softens "stuff" especially in the kitchen. The best part is no streaks or cleaner residue left behind.

Speaking of which, I had better get busy on my dirty floors.

Bookmark   March 27, 2010 at 9:44AM
mike_kaiser_gw

I've used laundry detergent for cleaning tile/vinyl floors. I usually buy one of the less expensive brands when the local grocery store has it deeply discounted. The nice thing about laundry detergent is that you can mix it freely with bleach, so I use it for all kinds of cleaning jobs like trash cans.

You want to be careful mixing bleach with other household cleaners. You can have a chemical reaction that results in free chlorine gas. Not something you want to inhale.

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 9:32AM
lazy_gardens

I use the lemon scented concentrates.

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 12:20PM
andi2928

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

When we PCS'd to Ft Hood, we got stuck in on-post housing and lets just say the housing isnt the cleanest... It has the original tile from the 50's I believe and it appears to either have never been sealed or re-sealed at any point so it looks atrocious! I have a steam mop, but it doesn't seem to do anything as far as the nasty dark grout. Im starting to think that Im doomed to a toothbrush on my hands and knees.... :-(

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 7:32PM
andi2928

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

When we PCS'd to Ft Hood, we got stuck in on-post housing and lets just say the housing isnt the cleanest... It has the original tile from the 50's I believe and it appears to either have never been sealed or re-sealed at any point so it looks atrocious! I have a steam mop, but it doesn't seem to do anything as far as the nasty dark grout. Im starting to think that Im doomed to a toothbrush on my hands and knees.... :-(

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 11:36PM
graywings123

A steam mop won't clean grout embedded with dirt and grime. The canister model steamers would do it. But, yeh, you are looking at a hands and knees cleaning project.

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 8:39AM
lucky51

Cleaning stained un-sealed grout will be an arduous task. CWP make a tile & grout cleaner and matching brushes for the task.

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 2:11PM
suz_natural

I've used baking soda and water on my kitchen tile grout and was amazed at how well it worked. But yeah, it's a hands and knees cleaning project. I haven't finished the whole floor either (and believe you me, you can tell exactly where I stopped).

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 1:20AM
More Discussions
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
Sink Scratches
My white (porcelain?) sink gets silvery scratch marks...
jinnufr
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Cleaning unsealed brick floors
Hi all: I just purchased a new-to-me home with unsealed...
AtomicJay007
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™