Rust on Baking Pans

jannieMarch 22, 2007

Several of my metal baking pans and cooking sheets have rust spots on them. I have put them in the dishwasher, which I suspect may have caused the rust. What do you do to clean yours? Is there a way to remove the rust?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bud_wi

If they are rusty they are goners.

Once the oxidation process has started, the reaction continues deep in the material. The few things you can do to arrest the rust cannot be done on food surfaces.

I hand wash all my bakeware.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 2:11AM
elbits

Buy only aluminum pans, Wilton has some, and you won't have this problem anymore. Also non aluminum pans leave a metallic taste on your food.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 7:14AM
jannie

Thanks for the advice. I will toss the rusted pans, maybe I can use them in my gardening.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 10:04AM
grainlady_ks

You can remove the rust by rubbing it with a cut potato. It sounds corny, doesn't it? The pans are perfectly safe to use. To help prevent rusting, wash the pans BY HAND, carefully dry with a towel. I pop them back in the still-warm oven to get the pan completely dry (those little cracks around the rolled edge...). Even putting them in the oven with the light on produces enough warmth to help thoroughly dry the pans.

Remember, any type of aluminum pan should NOT be placed in the dishwasher. Doing so may result in dark staining.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 11:19AM
bean_counter_z4

I agree with Grainlady. Some of mine have a little rust in corners and cracks. (I should follow her advice and put them in the oven to dry.) I use parchment paper now with almost everything I bake so it doesn't really matter.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 11:38AM
jane_d

I'm with Bean... I have some rust too, but just cover with aluminum foil all the time.

I've never heard of the thing with the potato- Grainlady, you know everything!

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
X smoker preparing house for Grand Baby
I need help! My son and daughter inlaw are expecting...
johndeere
Help! Lime Away hurt my sink!
Hi all, I had a new cleaning lady work in my cottage...
jlknovi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™