Teppanyaki Griddle ?

mamacottiMarch 20, 2012

This is new to me...

Is a Teppanyaki griddle any different than a griddle one can get on the pro-style ranges? Is it just the electric version? I've alway just assumed that what I see at Benihana is the same type of equipment I see at Waffle House.

Here is a link that might be useful: AEG Electrolux Teppan Yaki

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

Thought video quite interesting, except........

Seems to me it was a silly demonstration by which to demonstrate the purported desirability of an expensive different-concept cooktop. What was demonstrated could be more easily done and more easily cleaned up after using a couple of skillets on an ordinary gas or electric stove.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 11:58PM
eleena

I thought that in restaurants, the purpose was to cook large amounts of food quickly (and it tastes good too). The home ones seem too small, might just use a regular griddle.

I agree that the demonstration was silly. I would never toast bread next to raw meat...

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 1:12AM
asolo

You may have noticed, also, that the bread never got toasted. The demonstrator kept saying how "fantastic" everything was coming out but that bread just sat there. Since she set that part of the griddle at 100C (212F) that's all it would ever do except for maybe drying out.

Also noticed no clean-up undertaken. That surface appears to be brushed stainless...which doesn't season well and is typically kind of sticky. Could be wrong about that, but I'd certainly need to see a more competent demo than this one before I got excited.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 9:54AM
weedmeister

An induction griddle.

I think 'toast' means something different to the Aussies than to me. All she was trying to do was to heat the 'bun' and melt the butter.

Cleaning this would be like cleaning any other flat-top steel griddle I've used: water and an abrasive grill pad.

I would like to know where the fat drained off to...

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 4:41PM
asolo

FWIW.....over at youtube.....type in AEG teppanyaki and/or Seimens teppanyaki. Several videos of home units available plus one specifically on cleaning. Other videos showing plug-in teppan grills which I'd wager are for those locations with 220v plugs....but don't know.

Among the home unit demos, did not find one that couldn't be just as easily and, I think, more conveniently accomplished in skillet(s) but the concept is kind of cool.

Recall from my teenage days as a grill-man at a fast-food place west of Chicago that clean-up at the end of the day was accomplished via carbonated water on the still-hot griddle, scraping with spatula, more carbonated water, stainless scrubber, then carbonated water rinse. Method specified by employer in compliance with laws at the time. (early 1960's)

The AEG unit apparently has a trough running around the perimeter. The Seimens version has no trough the entire surface being depressed.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 5:10PM
plllog

At Purcell Murray (BSH distributor) they use half lemons, I think when the teppanyaki is still warm, to clean off all the gunk, then rinse. That was the Gaggenau one though, and it has a chrome finish or something.

A teppanyaki has to be pretty large to be really useful. The Gaggenau 15" has two independent heating elements and is just barely large enough to consider. (I did.) One of the main things is that a real teppanyaki is bigger than a griddle. A large plancha or one of those old timey four burner griddles is more like it. Then, however, you have hot spots. A teppanyaki should be very hot in the center and cool along the sides, like so many other cooking areas.

The home teppanyaki modules really are more like built in griddles than real tappanyakis. If you're putting in modules rather than a range, and want a built-in griddle, you can have one with a fancy Japanese name. No grease tray (except maybe the one with the trough), but than we're not talking about a commercial flat top. :)

Besides being alternatives for people who want a built-in griddle, these are put in in small Euro apartments where the kitchen is a wall in the living room. If there's more counter space than cupboard space, having the built-in might be more convenient than storing a griddle. They can also use it as a warming burner, or as a place to set things when it's off.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Refrigerator Water Valve Leaking
Any idea why the blue cap (see red arrow) on the water...
tslats2
New Bertazzoni Induction Range?
I just saw a press release from Bertazzoni about a...
anyajg
KitchenAid Dishwasher Leaking Water - Defective Pump Clamp Recall
After dinner, we ran the dishwasher (KitchenAid KUDE60FXSS4)...
mn_runner
My GC thinks I need 1000 cfm and I think he's crazy
So I actually don't think he's crazy and he's right...
crl_
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™