Recommendation for over 900CFM island mount hood (recirculating)?

ImcaffeineMarch 28, 2012

This might be a tough one.

We can't vent outside; we'll need at least 900 CFM; it's island mount, and we are looking for a 42" model (over a 36" range).

Any model recommendations? I'm going for this look: ADL-E42ASX Zephyr

But this model is only 600 CFM. The only one that fits the criteria is Cavaliere, but I'm looking for a better brand...

Do you have any recommendations? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rwiegand

Probably not helpful, but if you need that big a hood you probably really want to get the smell, smoke, grease, and combustion products out of the building. Recirculating might take out dome of the bigger grease droplets, but everything else is being blown back into your living space. Whether it requires building a soffit to carry a vent or moving the range to a different location you will be much happier with an external exhaust if you really use the stove for much cooking.

I wonder if anyone makes a small diameter, high velocity remote fan setup that move enough CFM through a hose that can more readily be snaked through whatever joist/rafter bays you have available?

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 8:52AM
kaseki

400 Hz three-phase 208 Vac fans used on aviation electronics can do this, but they are quiet only in the context of the nearby jet engine.

Rootes type compressors (used on drag race cars and certain classes of industrial air compressors) can do this also. I would not want to listen to one of those either.

In any case, there may be another reason for no outside venting, such as defective building rules. In such a case, the problem of interior recirculation becomes one of how much room do I have for a sequence of filters that will get most of the effluent. A HVAC professional should be consulted.

kas

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 11:51AM
weedmeister

I wouldnt think a 900cfm recirculating blower would be any more effective than a 200cfm blower. Note I said 'blower' since nothing gets vented.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 3:13PM
weissman

CFMs are probably irrelevant when you're recirculating.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 5:22PM
Imcaffeine

I'm currently in a condo with a recirculating hood - I can tell you with my experience that CFM matters. So now if you guys can help me out here...?

And by the way, it's very common if you live in a big city. I'm pretty sure that many people face the same situation, so some practical advice would really help.

Thanks.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 6:53PM
weissman

Sorry, but all the extra CFMs will do is recirculate the hot air faster back into your kitchen. Save your money and get something that looks nice :-)

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 7:27PM
kaseki

I think "CFMs" are important for ensuring proper capture and containment depending on the hood configuration and cooking technique. What happens after that will depend on how good the filtering is. Certainly the heat will be recirculated; hopefully the grease will be at least partially filtered out.

kas

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 12:21PM
dan1888

Two considerations-
Ventahood has a recirculating unit that seems like it can work.
If you choose induction the need for ventilation is reduced with the elimination of heat and combustion products.
Here's a discussion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooktop ventilation LEED

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 5:38PM
Imcaffeine

Thank you Dan1888. Very helpful.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
New Bertazzoni Induction Range?
I just saw a press release from Bertazzoni about a...
ltislander
Bluestar Precious Metals - Infused copper
Greetings, I am getting ready to order a 36" 6...
pitcom
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
True Refrigerator (residential)
I came across this beautiful photo of a True refrigerator...
ltislander
Best place to buy appliance parts
I have a GE range (6 yrs of age) for which I need parts....
puzzlefan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™