Homemade Dish Detergent?

ayerg73February 19, 2012

Does anyone know how to make an effective homemade dish detergent?

My DH is allergic to at least one ingredient in just about everything commercially made. We had one brand that worked, but they apparently changed their formula and now he's reacting badly and I have to find a safe solution.

I just tried this recipe that I found online:

-1 1/2 cup of hot water

-1/2 cup castile soap (I usually use Dr. Bronner's baby mild liquid soap, but feel free to use any scent just be sure to adjust/omit essential oils accordingly. You may want to use a variety that is already scented for a more frugal option.)

-1 tablespoon of white vinegar

-1 tablespoon of Arm&Hammer's Super Washing Soda (used to thicken the soap)

And it just doesn't work for me. Didn't cut through grease at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bulldinkie

On the kitchen table here.Ask they have dishwasher,laundry soap,I love using arm & hammer baking soda glasses look great when done.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 8:08AM
jannie

I buy whatever dishwashing liquid is on sale. I'm convinced they all work, Dawn is good but so are Joy, Palmolive, Ajax, Method, even store bargain brand. For my dishwasher, I put in a tablespoon each Borax and Baking Soda (not baking powder or washing soda).

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 9:12AM
callie25

I also use what's on sale....just curious about the borax and baking soda (how well does it clean...any haze on glasses?)

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 9:20PM
angelinebal

Saving money at the supermarket is a concept that can extend to every item you frequently buy. This includes things such as dishwashing and laundry detergent, notes Bankrate. How to save money on laundry and dishwashing detergent? Some customers extol the virtues of single-use dishwasher and laundry detergent - aka pods or squares - but the truth is that regular dishwashing soap or even homemade detergent is cheaper. Using cheaper bottle dishwasher detergent or a homemade solution will save money, and in many cases, also be better for the environment, as less excess soap is flushed down the drain. This assumes that you�re using dishwasher detergents that are phosphate free, which is currently required by law in at least seventeen states.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 1:25AM
More Discussions
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™