Hlelp! Hard water stains on black curtains!

mclarkeFebruary 21, 2010

These are huge theatrical black velveteen-ish curtains, twelve feet by nine feet, so I can't throw them into the washer, and I can't afford to have them dry cleaned.

They were brand new, just hung, and they had a lot of wrinkles. So, brilliant me, I filled a spray bottle with hot water, thinking that I would spray the hot water on the curtains so the wrinkles would fall out.

What I DIDN'T know was that the tap water in this town is very, very hard. When the water dried, it left behind white rings of residue.

What can I do now???

I have tried dabbing at the rings with distilled water, but it just spread the rings. I then tried adding white vinegar; more spreading.

Anyone got any ideas?

Please please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

try some calgon liquid water softener. Try a little on an inconspicuous place first.

The water softener should dissolve the calcium and lime that are making the rings

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 3:41PM
graywings123

I have absolutely no idea whether this would work or not, but:

A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is in essence a micro-fine piece of sandpaper. If the residue is on the surface, and you rubbed verrry gently, maybe you could remove the residue without removing the color? Other than that, I have nothing - I've never found a fix for a water spot. Can you switch them left right and hide the spots in folds?

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 5:41PM
mclarke

Thanks for both of your replies. I will try them both.

I don't know if the Calgon will work, because my main problem is that I can't rinse the curtains. Oh, I suppose I could throw buckets of distilled water at them, but that's not practical, really. And I could possibly electrocute myself, which wouldn't really be productive...

I will also try the magic eraser. Ya never know.

Thanks!

Sorry for the typo ("Hlelp") in the thread title.

No solution for that problem, either, I guess.

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 9:05AM
raee_gw

Try vacuuming the dry stains with the brush attachment first--maybe you can loosen and remove some of the deposits.
If you truly can't afford a cleaner (or a commercial laundry? professional drapery cleaner? try negotiating a price?) and the drapes won't be ruined by water, how about in your bathtub?

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 9:57AM
mclarke

In my bathtub?

What a brilliant idea. But not practical at the moment... the show opens on Friday, and I would have no way of drying them. I live in Philadelphia and it's cold and wet outside.

If I lived in Miami... well, we can stop right there, because if I lived in Miami I would be out sitting on the beach, not lurking in the backstage shadows with a bottle of vinegar in my hand.

Thanks, though.

Anyone else?

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™