Bathroom Hutch Question

jengeorgesonMarch 12, 2014

We are debating on whether to put a cabinet hutch on my girl's long bathroom counter that will sit in between two sinks. I've never had one before and am wondering if it will get annoying. The problem I see is that you have a door that swings open and takes up a lot of space but needs to be open in order to use appliances that are plugged in inside the hutch. Would just a wide open countertop be better if I just bag the hutch idea?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mushcreek

What about a tambour (roll-top) door in the hutch? I can't imagine a swing-open door on a counter top- you'd have to take everything off of the counter to open or close it.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:40AM
mdln

Love a hutch - to keep everything off the counter, but nearby.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 8:35AM
jengeorgeson

Here's a pictures with the hutch.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 10:11AM
jengeorgeson

And here's a picture without.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 10:12AM
live_wire_oak

Leave it off. Counter space is really more important than storage space that's in the way of you using the counter space. Plus, it really closes in the space visually. I might do like a train rack for towels in between the two mirrors, but no dark wood anything there,

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 10:19AM
mommyto4boys

I think they will enjoy the separation that the hutch makes. DH and I had this setup and loved it. I hate clutter out and this kept things clear and clean. I'm not sure why they would need the outlet when it looks like there are outlets on each side. I wouldn't keep appliances plugged in and use like that. Use the hutch for storage and pull out and plug in the side wall when a blow dryer etc is used and then unplug and put away. It appears to have plenty of counter space with the hutch :)

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 1:06PM
mdln

How many people will be using that bathroom?

How much cabinet space do you have in the room and below the countertop?

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 3:54PM
jengeorgeson

Two girls will be sharing the bathroom. The only reason we originally added the hutch was we thought it would look better on such a long counter. We didn't do it for the additional cabinet space.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 6:59PM
mdln

Two girls sharing a bathroom - I'd say yes.

However, can you let them decide? Since it does not seem like that big of a deal one way or the other, letting them choose is nice.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:36PM
rmsaustin

I like it better without the hutch. If you really felt you needed the hutch, I'd opt for glass door/s to make it visually lighter -as in the photo from another poster.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 8:56PM
jdez

What about a compromise with s more shallow cabinet? I've tried to attach a link of an example at overstock.com but if it doesn't work, just search the "on the wall" or "recessed medicine cabinets". You wouldn't be able store as much but you would have the separation and keep the counter space.

Here is a link that might be useful: On the wall cabinet

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 8:56PM
allison0704

We have a cabinet sitting on the counter in our MBath. I didn't think I was going to like it, but there isn't a closet, so. The lower cabinet was pulled out a few inches to break the long run of cabinetry. We don't miss having a linen closet at all.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
Floor Plan/Kitchen Help - Please :)
I cross-posted this here in Kitchens as well. Please...
kymberie
Clearing land - Forestry mulching
We bought our land and are anxious to get it cleared...
cricket5050
Well Water
For those of you with well water only. What systems...
Renee0829
5 panel interior doors
I love this door. I have Trustile- 2 panel, in my present...
ILoveRed
Need feedback on framing layout for a basement.
I'm in the process of finalizing a plan for the basement...
julianpowers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™