Fabric sizing - how to remove?

GreenladyFebruary 17, 2005

I bought some fabric, and when I got it home, it smelled so strongly of formaldehyde that I tried to take it back to the store. Unfortunately, it was on sale so I couldn't. The smell wasn't noticeable in the store or I wouldn't have bought it.

I know formaldehyde is used in fabric sizing, but how do I get it out? I've heard that you can soak the cloth in something, baking soda maybe? Borax? and then wash it and it will be OK to wear.Is this true, or does anybody have any other suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I am so allergic to that stuff in fabric sizing that I get tearey eyed and cough just walking through a fabric store!
Wash it....works for me! They also say if you open it out and hang to air the stuff will dissapate.

Linda C

Bookmark   February 17, 2005 at 6:40PM
Greenlady

Thanks! I have it hanging over the railing on the patio right now, and it has been since I brought it home. It still smells, but not quite as strong. Still too much, though, so I will wash it before I make the jacket.

I thought I was the only one who had breathing problems in fabric stores! If I spend much time in there, like more than five minutes or so, I usually come out with a migraine.

Bookmark   February 17, 2005 at 6:56PM
lazy_gardens

ALWAYS clean fabric by the intended method before you sew it: if it's wash and wear, wash it and dry it.

That takes care of the shrinkage, and sizinfg and that annoyingly new smell.

Bookmark   February 17, 2005 at 9:03PM
Greenlady

I have to admit I've never washed fabric before making something. Most of it doesn't smell like formaldehyde, so I never even thought of it. I'm a very occasional do it yourself clothes maker, so I don't know all the tricks. ;-) Thanks!

Bookmark   February 18, 2005 at 10:35AM
mgm44

I recently purchased 100% cotton bandanas that contain so much sizing that they are almost non-absorbant. Several washings have shown little improvement. Is there something that I can soak these in to remove the sizing?

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Mold/ Mildew out of clothing, Can it be done?
I have a pink and a blue shirt that were not unpacked...
saphire
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
easiest way to clean silk plants?
I have a bunch of silk plants, mostly in my kitchen...
drcindy
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
How to Clean a Disgusting Plastic Shower Floor
I have purchased a property that has what I believer...
lgal63
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™