Cleaning Wedgewood Jasperware

cheryl_down_underFebruary 20, 2006

Does anyone know how to clean Wedgewood jasperware? I have several pieces that are dusty and I'd like to brighten them up. A web search hasn't revealed much - one link said to put in the dishwasher, another to soak in detergent and use a soft bristle toothbrush, but I didn't think you could get this stuff wet. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Cheryl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

If it says "Wedgewood" on the bottom, it is hard fired and the dishwasher is fine....Or scrub with a tooth brush and some thing like comet.
Unless you chip or crack it....you can't hurt it.
It is porcelain! Vitrified earthenware....won't absorb water and is very durable.
Scrub it, put it in the dish washer won't hurt it at all. It is not porous....just unglazed.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 8:43PM
cheryl_down_under

Thanks Linda for your help. I ended up just using a toothbrush, some dishwashing detergent and rinsing well (I don't know what Comet is as we don't have it here). Anyway, it worked very well and my Wedgwood pieces are looking great.

Cheryl.

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 5:22PM
jimdonn

Thanks for the info, I have a Jasperware ashtray, which someone used for butts and badly stained it.

I simply squirted some dishwashing liquid on it full strength and gently rubbed it with a terry cloth dishrag, after that I rinsed it with tempid water and dried it with a dishtowel. I looks like new.

I did read on another site NOT to put it in the automatic dishwasher, as it may be damaged by the heat, which made sense to me.

p.s. Cheryl, Comet is an abrasive scouring power such as Ajax or BonAmi here in the U.S., I would only resort to using such a product in extreme cases.

JimD

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 2:28PM
lindac

Jim, that Jasperware has been fired at a lot higher temperature than your dish washer will get, and there is no glaze to crackle. A dishwasher won't hurt it.
And Ajax won't hurt it either.
Back in the dark ages when I smoked, I used it often on a several Jasperware ashtrays.
That's tough stuff!
Linda C

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 4:03PM
kka47

I just started collecting wedgwood and several pieces have chips on top of vases. Can these be repaired by using a special filing method? Should they be repaired or will that reduce their value?

Also cleaning chipped,glazed or glued pieces? What do you recommend?

Thank You.

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 3:30PM
lindac

I wouldn't file down chiopped china. You could have them filled, but I think the cost of doing that would be prohibitive.
Either ignore the chips or collect un chipped stuff.
Don't wash repaired china.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 27, 2007 at 12:02AM
karinaripp_optonline_net

Someone gave me a lovely small Wedgewood vase. In the bottom, it has green "plant" clay. Please suggest how to best remove the clay.

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
X smoker preparing house for Grand Baby
I need help! My son and daughter inlaw are expecting...
johndeere
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
Toilet hard water stains
We have a 1/2 bath that rarely is used, so there's...
nelles_gw
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™