halogen to led conversion

frank04090March 15, 2012

Anyone ever pull the G4 halogen bulbs (or similar) out of their range hood and pop in some LED bulbs instead? Like it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jscout

I've been considering this off an on over the last couple of months. But the challenge has been finding reasonably priced shielded LED bulbs. So far, I have only been finding bulbs with plastic faces and that won't work over a range, especially not with the amount of flambeing I do. I thought I might have found some online with glass fronts, but I couldn't confirm from the literature if they would work over the range. They were also expensive, so I didn't even bother to follow up with the vendor. Hopefully, someone will reply with some sources.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 9:54AM
lalithar

I actually talked to Modernaire and they said that their issue was the same.. finding bulbs that can work in the heat. None of the LED manufacturers are making them.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 1:28PM
frank04090

The zephyr Napoli hood has "Bloom" LED's, so it is possible. Do they have to be glass covered? They would be protected by the lens.

I think the heat problem around the lamp is from the halogen bulb itself. They get HOT.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 11:14PM
gregincal

LEDs are very sensitive to heat. I wouldn't expect an LED bulb above a stove to have a very long life.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 7:12PM
kaseki

The need is to design for LED lighting from inception; retrofit will be very difficult due to the LEDs requiring good heat-sinking, which takes more space than allocated to an R-20 or other incandescent bulb design. A design from inception would have to take advantage of all the metal in the hood to be used for a heat sink, and/or allowing the ventilation fan to pull in air that is not heated and cause it to flow around the LED fixtures.

A sensor to turn the LEDs off when overheated for whatever reason would be needed. Alternatively, turning the LEDs on with heat present would force the fan on independent of being turned off. Not an easy problem, and one that might require some retraining of the customer, which is always fraught with difficulty.

kas

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Jenn Air Counter Depth Refrigerator
Hi, We will probably be getting the Jenn Air counter...
C C
Oven size vs cabinet size
In my search for a new oven I noticed that all have...
dickross
Over & Under refrigerator advice/options
I am remodeling my kitchen and planning to use separate...
uscpsycho
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
cooktop
Hi, I finally narrowed down to 3 different 30 inch...
wmc123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™