GE Profile Microwave Bursts Into Flame
A week ago, I smelled something acrid. Thought I had forgotten about a tea kettle. When I reached the kitchen, mrs. worthy was already on the job, quenching the flames shooting from the microwave control panel.
What a mess! Black soot everywhere. An adjacent cabinet door scorched.
The villain was a GE Profile Microwave, a permanently mounted model with an integral exhaust fan. It came with the house; it looked fine, but we never used it, only the fan. At the time of the fire, neither the fan nor the microwave were in operation.
There was a US recall on a similar unit that combines a microwave and a conventional oven and was sold from 2000-2003.
However, the origin of the fire in ours was similar, though the unit was built in 1994. The Model Number is JVM192KC-02.