How to get 'dog smell' out of chair

adwelshFebruary 6, 2005

Just bought a used microsuede recliner from people that had two big dogs. We've had the chair a week and a half and we are still noticing a pet smell. We took the chair outside for a day to get some sunshine and fresh air but the odor is still there. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Is it a urine smell? Or just dirty dog?
Fabrize may help....but I think I would want it to be professionally cleaned.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 7, 2005 at 12:32PM
adwelsh

Not urine - just kind of a "wet dog" smell.

I'll look into Fabrize - I've never used it before. But it's worth a try.

Bookmark   February 8, 2005 at 11:40PM
adwelsh

Okay, I used Fabrize on the chair last night. The whole room certainly smells better. I can't help but wonder if this is just a "masking" of the odor and how long before it wears off.

I need to get my carpets clean soon so maybe I'll see if the chair can be dry cleaned as well.

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 5:56PM
PeaBee4

Don't forget to turn the chair upside down. Wash all the hard parts and spray the rest. Since it's a recliner, there is a lot of fabric that is folded up in the underworks.

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 8:34PM
lindac

I don't know how Fabreeze works....but it doesn't seem to wear off....but you know as well as I that it doesn't remove the source of the odor....just the smell.
I would have it cleaned at the earliest opportunity....but meanwhile Fabreeze allows you to use it comfortably.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 7:17PM
michie1

I have 3 dogs & our livingroom upholstery used to smell despite bathing the dogs every othe week. We used to have it professionally cleaned quarterly which did rid the odor for the mean time but then dog got allergies & we coudln't apply all those chemicals. Finally I cleand it one last time & donated the furniture to my father. It looks brand new but I couldn't stand the constant cleanings - we replaced with leather.

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 10:26PM
joepyeweed

simple solution is an enzymatic cleaner that works great for pet odors. you probably will want to test it on a hidden part of the fabric first. spritz it on and let it dry...

Bookmark   March 25, 2005 at 10:50PM
carolpolki

If you can afford it, a quality air purifier will definitely work, and it will clean the air you breathe as well (great especially if you have allergies) Email me for a recommendation on one that will do your whole house (3,000 sq feet).

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 6:37PM
JerriEllijay

Sam's has a product called Odo-Ban that not only has a nice smell, but it removes many bad odors. For some reason fabreeze always smells like diapers to me.

jerri

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 2:38PM
s000pergirl

I use Odo-ban all the time and love it! My neighbor just gave me a cloth recliner and told me his moms dog 'sprayed' it. I have tried Odo-ban and leaving it outside to dry, but the smell is still in there. Also tried Fabreeze, bot nothing is working. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Bookmark   December 23, 2008 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease
Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot,...
junkyardgirl
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™