New towels are too soft

mary_228February 4, 2008

My husband won't use the new towels I bought because they are too soft. They have been washed in hot water three times and the softness is still there. They are all cotton Macy's Charter Club brand, if that matters.

just wonderd if there's something I can wash them in that will roughen them up a bit!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Put them in the washer, on a rinse only cycle. Add a cup of vinegar. That will remove any coatings that may be on the fibres. Or return them to Macy's and ask for a refund.

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 4:09PM
tsy72001

A owel can never be too soft. When they are soft they soak the water better.

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 12:36PM
krissie55

Sometimes a finish applied to the towels make them feel soft but it makes them water repellent. I have towels like that. So, soft is not always better for soaking up moisture from our body.

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 5:10PM
lindac

If they are 100% cotton....and have been washed I really don't believe there is any finish on them
Your husband is just used to towels with a build up of soap and hard water minerals.
Either get out an old towel for him to use....or don't put his towel in the dryer and let it air dry.
Of put an electric fan in the bathroom and tell him to skip the towel, saves on laundry.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 10:10PM
littlebug5

When my MIL died we took her bath towels home to use. But they were too soft - they wouldn't absorb at all. I discovered they were absolutely drenched with downy fabric softener. I washed and washed and washed them. It took about a year before they lost most of the softness and then they started to absorb.

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
How do you clean your oven racks?
I just ran the self-cleaning feature on my Gaggenau...
kawfeeaddict
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
onions on wood cutting board odor removal?
I tried searching and haven't seen this-- We use a...
sheilaaus122
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™