cleaning lcd tv screen?

SheeshareeIIFebruary 16, 2010

Hello. I normally hang out on the decorating forum but figured someone here might be able to help me.

We have a 32" LCD tv that all of a sudden has mystery splashes of mystery something on the screen. It's only DH, myself and the cats and nobody is fessing up. Looks like coffee splashes or something.

The tv came with a small, soft, pink cloth but that isn't doing the trick. Microfiber cloth isn't working. Using water seems to just smudge it.

I'm not sure what to use without messing the screen up?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Rubbing alcohol on a lint-free cloth ... like the cloth sold to clean eyeglasses and computer screens.

Bookmark   February 16, 2010 at 5:58PM
arizonny

Did someone pop open a can of soda in front of the TV?

I've 'experienced' that before.

One more vote for the alcohol.

Bookmark   February 16, 2010 at 10:32PM
jannie

I grab a used dryer sheet, and use that to run over dusty TV and computer screens.

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 7:58AM
llaatt22

Any advice that involves the use of any mixture containing either ammonia or alcohol is bogus or obsolete. Always shut off the unit and use a real Microfiber cloth, or well worn piece of clean soft cloth. The cloth should be dampened with distilled water, and wiped very gently from top to bottom with the TV turned off while exerting minimal pressure against the screen. If that doesn't work, buy a brand name cleaner made to deal with the problem at Wal-Mart or similar outlets.

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 4:33PM
oilpainter

I agree with laat2

You cannot clean LED screens like you did with the old analogue TV screens If it doesn't come off with a damp cloth or a microfiber cloth then use a cleaner designed for it. You could ruin your TV using alcohol

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 6:38PM
maime

My instructions said do not use any chemicals or cloths with chems in it. They suggested a soft dry cloth. Your spots could be cause by something inside the TV.

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 8:54PM
SheeshareeII

I just popped back in this morning to check this.

I need to dig out the owners manual. It's a Sharp Aquos. When we first bought it, two years ago now, the first time I ever dusted/cleaned the screen I used a regular microfiber cloth and water. The screen was fine but DH informed me it came with a special pink cloth for dusting.

Thankfully the marks are only noticeable when the tv is off and you're up close.

Thanks for the responses. I saw they make cleaners for LCD screens but I've read some bad reviews for them too. I'll post an update of how I make out. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if mine also says to use the dry cloth it came with since that wasn't cutting it.

Bookmark   February 18, 2010 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™