Laticrete SpectraLock Pro premium grout never needs to be sealed?

janesylviaMarch 29, 2013

I went to buy Bostik TruColor grout, but was told that it was difficult to be applied to 1/16" spacing because it's sanded. The salesman suggested Laticrete SpectraLock pro premium, saying it's non-sanded, easy to apply, and never needs to be sealed.

I read online and saw the Laticrete color powder was mixed with sand instead of non-sanded said by the salesman. I did not see on the bucket that it never needs to be sealed. One video said it might scratch some tile surface.

May I apply the Laticrete spectralock pro grout premium to the 1/16" spacing of polished tiles purchased from Porcelanosa (salesman said I could) without scratching tile surface? Does it really never need to be sealed? Is it easy to apply? My contractor never used it before.

Any input or sharing of experience is GREATLY appreciated.

This post was edited by janesylvia on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 23:41

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

The sand is a very finely graded sand. It is high quality. Bill V. has used it on marble I believe without problems.

No need to seal the epoxy grout.

Is your tile crackled? I read on Phylhl's kitchen reveal a post by the tile manufacturer who posted on her site, that the crackle may need to be sealed to prevent stains from getting into the crackled areas. With stone, you seal first avoiding the grout spaces, then grout. It helps the grout release from the tile I believe. You might want to seal if your ceramic is crackled. I am just guessing that this would be done, so I would consult the Laticrete tech department. You don't want the sealer to get into the grout spaces.

On the laticrete site somewhere I thought I read that for 1/16" grout spaces you could leave a smidgen of the powder out to make a slightly wetter mix.

When I grouted my floor I did it myself. But when I grouted my walls I had my DH follow behind to cram the falling grout into the spaces as I missed them. We worked about 3 feet apart. First me trying to grout the walls with the float, then he followed picking up the pieces.

My bathroom project was the 2nd and 3rd grout jobs I have done, and I'm a girl ;)
... But I had help.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
wall mounted sink with hidden pipes?
Hi all, Would like a small-ish wall mounted sink, but...
randyelipson
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
Sponsored Products
Gisele Brown Lattice Cylinder Table Lamp
$19.95 | Lamps Plus
Pro Series 7-pc Garage Cabinetry Set
FRONTGATE
T-fal CB540852 Balanced Living Thermospot Griddle Multicolor - 010942214243
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Peonies Linen Napkins
The City Farm
Truffle Mashed Potatoes - LIGHT BROWN
$62.00 | Horchow