Laticrete SpectraLock Pro premium grout never needs to be sealed?

janesylviaMarch 29, 2013

I went to buy Bostik TruColor grout, but was told that it was difficult to be applied to 1/16" spacing because it's sanded. The salesman suggested Laticrete SpectraLock pro premium, saying it's non-sanded, easy to apply, and never needs to be sealed.

I read online and saw the Laticrete color powder was mixed with sand instead of non-sanded said by the salesman. I did not see on the bucket that it never needs to be sealed. One video said it might scratch some tile surface.

May I apply the Laticrete spectralock pro grout premium to the 1/16" spacing of polished tiles purchased from Porcelanosa (salesman said I could) without scratching tile surface? Does it really never need to be sealed? Is it easy to apply? My contractor never used it before.

Any input or sharing of experience is GREATLY appreciated.

This post was edited by janesylvia on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 23:41

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

The sand is a very finely graded sand. It is high quality. Bill V. has used it on marble I believe without problems.

No need to seal the epoxy grout.

Is your tile crackled? I read on Phylhl's kitchen reveal a post by the tile manufacturer who posted on her site, that the crackle may need to be sealed to prevent stains from getting into the crackled areas. With stone, you seal first avoiding the grout spaces, then grout. It helps the grout release from the tile I believe. You might want to seal if your ceramic is crackled. I am just guessing that this would be done, so I would consult the Laticrete tech department. You don't want the sealer to get into the grout spaces.

On the laticrete site somewhere I thought I read that for 1/16" grout spaces you could leave a smidgen of the powder out to make a slightly wetter mix.

When I grouted my floor I did it myself. But when I grouted my walls I had my DH follow behind to cram the falling grout into the spaces as I missed them. We worked about 3 feet apart. First me trying to grout the walls with the float, then he followed picking up the pieces.

My bathroom project was the 2nd and 3rd grout jobs I have done, and I'm a girl ;)
... But I had help.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
Air Tubs: Bain Ultra vs Oceania??
We have researched a number of "air tubs"...
d_dub
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™