OTR microwave over countertop

bob4321March 31, 2012

Is it possible to use an OTR microwave under a cabinet, but over a countertop and not a stove, I think the OTR microwaves look much nicer than the built ins or the ones with trim kits. It would stick out a bit past the cabinet face.

This would allow me to have double wall ovens with top oven at eye level as well as the much used microwave at a high position. Would not use the fan or exhaust.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
writersblock

Sure, people have done this. You can also get an over-the-counter model from sharp.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 9:45PM
jscout

I did it. I put an Advantium OTR over the counter. Nut I also have 15" uppers, so it doesn't stick out much. Here are a couple of photos taken right after installation.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 11:02PM
bob4321

Thanks for the info. The sharp is 24". Most of the otr mw are 30" which gives more counter space underneath, so will look at those.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 11:03PM
bob4321

jscott- really like the pictures. It's exactly what I was looking to placing the
MW next to the range hood. Gives nice work area next to the range.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 11:13PM
jscout

FYI, the OTR is 30" and the counter below is 36". There are a couple of features of the the OTR that are useful where it is. It has a built in light, so I didn't have to install undercabinet lights. It's also heat and moisture resistant, so I can put a coffee maker, crockpot, rice cooker or any other appliance that may generate heat and steam under there. My range is an all gas range with no electronics, so I use the OTRs built in timer. It was a warming feature, so if I have to, I can plate some food at the range and just throw it in the OTR to keep warm. Although I didn't do it, where I have it located, I could have tied the exhaust into the range hood via the cabinet above. It does generate heat and the fan does come on. Mine is an Advantium, so it doubles as my MW, toaster oven and serves as a third oven.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 4:52PM
bob4321

Guessing that the range hood is wider than the stove, so that gives lets you have the longer countertop.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 6:43PM
jscout

Yes, I have a 48" range and a 54" hood. My cabinet maker used 3/4" plywood, so he doubled it up on each side of the MW to make it 1.5" and then veneered all the visible sides. The contractor was supposed to install it an inch lower flush with the bottom edge of the cabinet. But I decided not to make him reinstall it. I may still put a strip across the bottom to finish off the look, but I still can decide.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Sealed vs Open Gas Burners
What's the difference between sealed gas burners and...
cbarkston
Bosch Speed Microwave Oven vs. GE Advantium?
We had a GE Advantium for 7 years and used it 2-3 times...
erikgerard
Dual Fuel Slide in Range Recommendations
I am looking to replace my 12 year old jenn air slide...
stp92x
essentials you can't live without in your front load washing machine?
I am trying to purchase a new washing machine for our...
abick2
Coffee Machines
What is the best built in coffee machine for your buck?...
J Saleh
Sponsored Products
Toscana Italian Collection Oval Serving Platter
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Certified International French Olives 18-oz Mug Set (Pack of 4)
Overstock.com
Blue Fuel 16-Oz. Tumbler
$14.99 | zulily
Napa Vineyard Hand-Painted 16-Piece Dinner Set
Overstock.com
Beaded-Edge Pedestal Server - WHITE
$48.00 | Horchow
Forum Set of Four Coffee Mugs
$52.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™