How to remove burned smell in Microwave?

cube1067February 3, 2009

Burned some microwave-able french fries. I've cleaned the entire microwave, went over it with a baking soda paste and a bleach & water solution. Still has that smoke smell. Years ago I burned some popcorn in the same microwave...the burn smell eventually subsided after SEVERAL months..I was looking for a faster way?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justkaren

Try heating vinegar in the microwave....vinegar absorbs odors.

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 5:48PM
Lee

We have had good luck with USED coffee grounds.

Just dump your used coffee grounds from your morning coffee pot into a bowl or dump them on a plate.

Leave them in a closed microwave for several hours ... overnight is easy to do. Your odor seems particularly persistent; you may need to do this for several days in a row; each day replenishing with another batch of coffee grounds.

Used coffee grounds in a bowl can be used to keep fridge odors at a minimum, too. We dump the old ones every couple of days and put in a new batch. Seems to work for us as well as a box of baking soda.

Good luck.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 6:54AM
azcanuck

I read somewhere in an article years ago when I was a teenager about removing odor from microwaves. It suggested a mix of water/lemon juice in a very small bowl and put it on for a minute or 2 and when the steam goes, it kills the smell with lemon. After a little while, it smells nice and removes the odor, so I do that from time to time...it works for me.

The coffee ground tip sounds interesting - will have to try that out. :)

Bookmark   February 13, 2009 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
momintennies
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™