Cleaning engineered stone

drmeow3February 20, 2006

I just got new Zodiaq counter tops and the Zodiaq website indicates I should clean them with, "Formula 409® Glass & Surface Cleaner** or a comparable cleaning product."

What is a comparable product? Will any glass cleaner do (i.e., Windex which is what I've been using)? Can the "orange" or "citrus" cleaners be used? How about Simple green?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

The orange cleaners are oil based....I will never use them on anything. Simple Green is fine as is windex, Fantastic, Fabuloso and other detergent based cleaners.
I bought some of that "orange Glo" stuff to use on my hardwood floors.....and a house cleaner got hold of it and cleaned all my wood furniture with it. It clouded any wax that was on the surfaces and I had to clean everything with mineral spirits. There is nothing I would clean with that stuff that isn't better cleaned with soemthing else....Tossed it out.
But back to the subject! LOL! stay away from oils and "spirit" based cleaners.....those that don't smell like soap but like paint thinner.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 22, 2006 at 7:02PM
drmeow3

Thanks, Linda.

I don't actually have any of the orange cleaners and I will definitely keep your advice in mind if I ever decide to buy some (my cleaning person provides all her own cleaning supplies so my purchase of same has been dramatically reduced).

-Maureen

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 12:42PM
glad

Was glad to find this thread> I'm having a Zodiaq vanity installed and had the same exact questions. Was hoping to be able to use Sun adn Earth, but that is oil-based.:(
I assume Glass Plus is an acceptable alternative to the 409??

What are others using on your engineered stone?

Bookmark   May 16, 2006 at 12:16PM
icspotz

From my experience, engineered quartz is tough stuff and can take almost any general cleaner. I've used everything from SoftScrub to Clorox cleaner to dish soap, depending on the need.

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 8:47PM
jardinista

I have silestone countertops in my kitchen for 2 years now. basically they are fine, but my only complant is that they look dull,never really shiny, and water spots really show up! I noticed that my sister's granite looks really nice and shiny when cleaned. Is this just the difference between granite and the silestone,or can i make my countertops shine? have used 409,windex, and currently Mr. Clean spray claeaner. thanks.

Bookmark   May 29, 2006 at 3:00PM
nancy_jean

I have Cambria-(quartz) same as Silestone...when my Cambria looks dull and it DOES after a while I use pledge to shine it up. It look's super shiny & new again. I do this about every 3 months. After you spray it on you need to first rub it in and then with a soft towel...(not a Miracle cloth)....buff it to a high shine. Nancy

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 3:55PM
ktmast

I too have the Zodiaq counters. (got the Lunar Pearl and love it) The web site says not to use products with bleach. I wish they listed more cleaners because it is sometimes hard to tell from the ingredients just what a clean contains. Our counters are about 2 years old, and they do shine nicely.

Katy

Here is a link that might be useful: Zodiaq Care and Maintenance page

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 2:33PM
ktmast

I was looking at cleaners at Target today and really have a hard time knowing what active ingredients are bleach. So I decided to check the active ingredients in the "409 Glass and Surface Cleaner". Well, the 409 our Target carries isn't the Glass and Surface cleaner, but rather a kitchen cleaner so the active ingredients could be different. Anyone have the 409 glass and Surface Cleaner? I would appreciate it if you could post the active ingredients so I can look for something with the same active ingredients.

Thanks!

Katy

Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 10:29PM
martica

I just got my engineered quartz countertops(Caesarstone Copper Abyss) and there's something that really bugs me. Even though they have a high gloss, they have a look that I can only describe as "filmy". When there's water on them, the color really comes alive. But as soon as it's dry, a certain opaqueness comes over them. First I used Lysol All-Purpose and figured that was the wrong product. Then I used Windex, then just plain water, but no change. Is this the nature of the product or should I be doing something different?

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 2:19AM
tnlady

I've found that simply using hot water and a little dish detergent keeps my silestone the most "smear" free. Haven't found anything that will really polish them. "Weiman" makes a polish for stone countertops which I've yet to try. Guess I should because I find their "Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polisher" the most satisfactory for that above 20 other products - actually grew to dislike my stainless until I found it. At any rate, both can be found at Wal-Mart. Maybe I'll get some today!!!

TNLady

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 9:50AM
kcl1699

I installed Zodiaq counter top about a month ago. I found the surface was gritty all over even though I cleaned it often. I did an experiment by covering a cleaned area with a towel and checked it after two days and found that area was gritty. Does that mean I should have applied some kind of finishing coat to it? Can anyone give me some advice? kcl

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™