Frosted Window Film?

chaysMarch 2, 2012

We are 80% done with the remodel in our master bath. We have a large picture window over the tub and we put a small window in the potty room.

Do any of you have experience with the frosted glass window films?

Our bathroom is very "exposed" to the whole neighborhood and we had an opaque cell shade there pre-remodel. Now, I am thinking that I would rather "frost" the glass so that the light can still come in, but no one will see me running around naked in the bathroom!

The window has mullions between the panes of glass, so applying should be easy. I am also considering only "frosting" 3/4 of the window height and stopping at the top section leaving it clear for direct sunlight. Would that look dumb? I would give the potty window the same treatment.

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davessels

I used the Gila brand on our 24 x 36 bathroom window 4 years ago and I am very happy with it. You have to clean the window very well, I still ended up with tiny, tiny spots along the edge where you squeegee out the spray. I thought I would redo it later, but I don't even notice it anymore. If you were doing large pieces I would recommend 4 hands, but small panes might be easier. The window faces east and the sun is almost blinding in the morning. The frosted is not like the tinted or UV protection.

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 11:23AM
eks6426

You could get the vinyl cling frosted stuff first to try it before you actually etch your glass. They come in textures as well as just standard frosted look.

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 11:42AM
dekeoboe

Did you also replace the window? Many window manufacturers state their warranty is voided if you put window film on the window. Just something you might want to consider.

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 12:07PM
CooperGalway

You might want to try out the frosting on a sample piece of glass instead of directly to your window first so you could get an idea of what it would look like.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 2:24AM
kaysd

We haven't gotten that far yet, but my designer recommended Solyx films to make the glass inserts in our doors translucent or opaque. Solyx has a lot of patterns and colors to choose from -- I'm still trying to decide which one to use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solyx

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Anyone seen Hydroban board for sale?
Can't seem to find it anywhere. Can't tell if that's...
cataan
Vanity from CabinetDIY - FYI
Just an FYI: we started to build the vanity from a...
melle_sacto
Size of light in powder room?
We are building right now. My plan for the half bath...
brodyt
Console legs for wall-mount sink?
We have installed this sink in our bathroom: http://www.ybath.com/duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin.html?utm_medium=pla&utm_source=google&utm_content=duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin&cvosrc=pla.google.duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin&gclid=CKjNlI3C08QCFYhhfgodmE8A8Q The...
lesleymatson
Sponsored Products
Metallic Black Elisha 12 Piece Window Hardware Set
$33.95 | Bellacor
Triple O Glass Contemporary Accent Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Main Street Colonial Cottage Birdhouse for Purple Martins
$159.99 | zulily
60W 120V B10 E12 Frosted Bulb by SATCO Lighting
$1.99 | Lumens
Microfiber Moss 42-Inch x 84-Inch Grommet Blackout Window Curtain Panel
$19.95 | Bellacor