Wine Fridge - Experiences with Summit Appliance?

crazedandconfusedMarch 7, 2014

Hi all,

We're on the hunt for a reasonably priced built-in wine fridge (less than $1000, preferably) that needs to fit a 24"w x 34 1/2" h. I've been looking at N'finity, Edge Star, and Whynter, but recently stumbled across one from Summit Appliances. It looks great, but I know nothing about them (and it's hard to find any wine fridge reviews). This fridge will be sharing a room with kitchen/family room area, so "quiet" is top of the list of must-haves.

Anyone have any experiences with Summit? Or, could you recommend a 24" wine fridge that you love?

FYI, here's the Summit I'm talking about:

http://www.summitappliance.com/catalog/model/SWC530LBISTCSS

Many thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycbluedevil

I have a Uline WC1175. It has a recessed handle, which is why I got it. The only other model with a recessed handle was the Miele for more than double the price. (I have numerous other Miele appliances but a wine fridge didn't seem like the place to spend a lot of money.)

I like the fridge. It is reliable and pretty quiet. It holds maybe 35 to 40 bottles. Don't rely on the specs regarding storage. They don't tell the truth.

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 6:54AM
crazedandconfused

Thanks nycbluedevil, I haven't looked at Uline either. Maybe I should expand my horizons and look for something a little more expensive. It may prove its worth by being quieter (hopefully).

The only online feedback I've found on the Summit Appliance one I originally inquired about is that its loud. Very loud. I would sacrifice bottle capacity for noise level.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll check out Uline.

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 8:24PM
gabethan

I have not heard many good things about Summit. We are going with the U-line as well. I have heard consistently good recommendations.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 7:12AM
crazedandconfused

The more I find out about Summit, then less likely I am to go with them. Most reports have been that they tend to be loud. We're looking into Uline now as well, and have looked at t couple of Marvel products. Not cheap, but I guess you get what you pay for..

Thanks for the feedback.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 9:24AM
nycbluedevil

From what I can tell, wine cooler pricing seems to be mostly in three tiers--cheap (don't know all the names but Summit is in there), medium (includes Uline and Marvel) and expensive (Miele, Sub Zero). Perlick is a well-respected brand that I believe is a bit less than Miele and Sub Zero. There is a place called Perlick Factory Seconds that has been mentioned on this board where you can get some nicely discounted scratch and dent pieces from the factory. I looked at it myself but I needed a specific handle. You might want to check it out. I do agree that you get what you pay for.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 12:58PM
crazedandconfused

Great, I'll check this out. Thanks for the heads up!

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 1:05PM
crazedandconfused

Hat-tip nycbluedevil - I just got an 24" wine fridge through the Perlick factory seconds program for considerably less than a typical Perlick, and we absolutely love it (so far). Quite as can be, and, honestly, I'm not sure why it was a second. No damage. Possibly a return and they repackaged it? Regardless, it's a great fridge. Thank you for the heads up. Not sure what I would have ended up with otherwise.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 12:05PM
marconnietx

I hope you didn't get the Summit. We had one; it looked great and operated fine for 3 years. Then the compressor went out. They would replace the compressor under the 5 year warranty, but the service work would cost about $400-$500. We didn't pay much more for it originally and will not get it repaired.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 2:28PM
crazedandconfused

Thanks for the note marconnietx. No, we ended up going with a Perlick. More expensive, and certainly more than I originally intended to pay, but we love it so far (though its only been a couple of months). I was able to find one of their factory seconds (directly from Perlick) which they guarantee.

Thanks again and I hope you found a great wine fridge that works for you!

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 2:36PM
saeyedoc

Thanks for the head-up on the Perlick Factory seconds, just received a Sig series outdoor fridge, has a dent on the side that will be hidden when installed. Very well made, love that the racks slide out. Price went from $3500 to $2000 with a shorter warranty.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Refrigerator Water Valve Leaking
Any idea why the blue cap (see red arrow) on the water...
tslats2
Food Processor - Old Cuisinart, New Cuisinart, Used Robot Coupe?
I am thinking about getting a Cuisinart food processor. I...
johnliu_gw
Lacanche-beautiful but how functional?
I am very tempted to splurge on a Lacanche for our...
mbwestfall
Appliance Budget -$15k. How to spend?
We have $15k in our appliance allowance. We need a...
dcnatfan
Zephyr vs Modern Aire vs Prizer Under the Cabinet 30"
I will have a 30" induction range, and need an...
cudjoegal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™