Musty smell in blanket

Chemocurl zn5b/6a IndianaFebruary 18, 2006

I was given a nice vellux blanket. It had been in a room that had a really musty odor to it, and now the blanket smells musty as well.

I washed it with Arm and Hammer Baking Soda Deodorizing detergent, and let it set in the washer several hours b4 rinsing and adding Downey to the rinse. I haven't put it in the dryer, as it smells as musty as ever.

What might I try...it is not usable as it is, and I can't even store it smelling that way.

I thought of maybe hanging it out on a sunny day..maybe for several sunny days making sure that all of both sides were exposed to the sun for several hours.

TIA...Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

You could also try adding vinegar to the rinse water, skipping the fabric softener.

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 1:02PM
lindac

I believe Vellux is Dacron and that does hang onto odors!!
I would try, first the outside on a sunny day cure....and then if it still smelled, I would wash it in Oxy Clean. There is somethning on the fibers that makes it smell....so the trick is to get it out!
Linda C

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 1:27PM
stella_2006

You can try Borax. I think the brand it 20 mule team, or 50 mule team or something like that. It takes the smell out of cloth diapers, husbands t-shirts/socks etc. It's pretty gentle and it also helps brighten your whites.

-Stella

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™