Bathroom- tiling floor and walkin shower..use same tile or not

L AMarch 11, 2014

I am building new and trying to figure out what to do with the tiling. We will have a 60 x 36 walkin corner shower. The vanity is espresso with a granite top, see image. Im trying to figure out what color to go with for my tiles and whether or not to go with the same throughout or change it up. We are going with the larger rectangular tile,12x24. What do you think? Feeling overwhelmed...:(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
L A

This is the vanity color and style we have bought.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 7:44PM
shanghaimom

12x24 slate-look (charcoal gray) porcelain tile would look nice. Running Bond pattern.

I would use a much smaller-format version for the shower floor, though--more grout lines=less slippery.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 8:26PM
badgergal

Instead of matching your shower floor tile to your other tile maybe you should consider matching your shower floor to your granite. We used the same granite as our countertop for our shower base. It's an option that may be a little pricier but it has definite advantages. There are no grout lines, no mold or mildew, it is guaranteed (at least ours is) not to leak, it has a low threshold, and installation is faster. Ask your fabricator if he does stone shower pans/basins.
The link below is for the company we used but I am posting it just or basic information.

You can see most of our stone shower pan in the picture below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone shower pans

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 11:51PM
L A

No we have the acrylic base for our shower, no tiles there. Just the wall in the shower.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 1:50AM
outsideplaying_gw

What are the dimensions of your bathroom? If you have a fairly or small large bathroom, keep the scale in mind. You might want to use a straight lay on the floor in a medium tone color, then use the tile in a vertical running bond in the shower. You could add an accent band of small tiles in the colors of your granite running horizontally near the top (gray, cream and black would look nice or use espresso in there somewhere). Too much off-set (i.e., running bond) visually confuses or overwhelms the eye I think, especially in a small space.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
Trying to reconfigure master bath to include washer dryer
How does this layout look? how could I make this space...
cinnamon01
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Bath fan dilemma
Looking for other options for bath fan/heater/light/nightlight....
gramarows
Family of 5 - only 1 1/2 bathrooms. What would you do?
We are an active family of 5 and our bathroom situtation...
rebeccamomof123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™