Do Magic Erasers Work for Cleaning WIndows

mary_maxFebruary 23, 2014

Does using magic erasers to wash windows hurt the windows? Perhaps you have had experience with this. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

Magic Erasers would be a very expensive way to clean windows, because they tend to break apart when wet, and I would be cautious it may etch the glass or damage any protective UV coating due to the Melamine foam. " ...when melamine resin cures into foam, its microstructure becomes almost as hard as glass causing it to act like a SUPER-fine sandpaper on stains."

Instead, try a bucket with a gallon of warm water and add a couple tablespoons of cornstarch and a few drops of Dawn dish detergent. Use a professional-grade sponge/squeegee. Wet the windows well with the sponge side, then remove it with the squeegee side. Use a cloth rag to catch any drips. The cornstarch/water solution actually has a slight sheeting action so it repels rain for a short period of time after it's applied. I learned this method from a professional window washer.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 5:11PM
mary_max

Thanks GrainLady! Glad I asked about the magic erasers. Yikes! These windows are very high. I can only spray with hose then brush with long pole. And brushing is extremely hard due to the angle. As far as wiping I usually only hose to rinse the window. Do you think your solution (I'm excited to try it) would just hose off and work okay or does it need to be wiped since it has the cornstarch in it.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 5:47PM
jannie

My Mom taught me to take an empty spray bottle, fill with two thirds water and one third plain (not sudsy) ammonia and use that for windows and mirrors. . Wipe with paper towels or a soft clean absorbent cloth. Finish by going over with some crumpled white tissue paper. Your windows will shine!

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 9:21AM
nerdyshopper

Windex makes a hose end product that can spray quite a distance. Surprisingly it worked quite well. Not quite as well as scrubbing and wiping but it does work. It's pretty expensive but worth a try.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 9:32AM
mrh7

Magic erasers worked for me on one window that had a 'mystery' rough place. Worked great. I always add Jet Dry to my window washing bucket. Helps with streaks.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 11:30AM
rob333

I'm dying to try this (but haven't yet (I have four whole windows in my house))--I hear adding Jet Dry in a window cleaning solution saves wiping down the windows; dries without spotting. Just a suggestion for your overall window cleaning. I don't know if magic erasers work on windows, but they are my absolute favorite cleaning tool. I use them to clean my matte finish walls without stripping off the paint. Great tool. I wouldn't think a device that takes dirt off without taking off paint would take off UV coating? but then again, I haven't done it yet.

This post was edited by rob333 on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 12:53

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 11:36AM
ScotGidley

Genuinely saying I never use these cleaner but I heard about these cleaner, these magic erasers works like miracle, it is very nice product for cleaning, the window was spotless, no streak etc. It is suitable for cleaning windows and other thing in home.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 7:07AM
More Discussions
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
lisa77429
Jetted Tub Cleaning - I'm at my end point!
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been posted...
Auroras_Envy
easiest way to clean silk plants?
I have a bunch of silk plants, mostly in my kitchen...
drcindy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™