Ikea Datid hood--style flair but don't know about quality

needinfo1March 24, 2013

I am quite enamored by this hood from Ikea, but I can't find much info at all about the quality or reliability. I know the hoods are made by Whirlpool with their so-so reputation. But, I love the unique looks that I can't find anywhere else for a comparable price $680. The specs are adequate for my purposes because I don't want mega cfms.

Wall mounted extractor hood with 3 different speeds.
Motor power: 264W.
400 CFM.
5.8 sones/Noise level: 66.7 dB.
Metal grease filter.
2-20W halogen lamps.
Voltage: 120V.

Thoughts?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/datid-exhaust-hood__0138072_PE297239_S4.JPG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steph2000

As it happens, I am a sucker for the look of this one, too. And the price is really good.

I hope you get helpful information for us both.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 11:05PM
springplanter

If you're in the DC area, I saw one in the Sears outlet last week (behind Wheaton Mall)

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 2:42PM
needinfo1

Ikea at Sears Outlet? I don't get why they'd have this brand. But, too bad I'm not in the area; I'd jump at it.

Just came back from Ikea and taking another look at it (and listening to it). We picked up the brochure on the 5 year limited warranty while there so will see exactly what it covers.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 7:01PM
ak0402

400 cfms is weak. What range or cooktop will you have under it? 600 cfms is good for most purposes, but many people get more than 600 cfms if they will be frying or grilling often. Flat hoods do not capture as well as canopy-shaped hoods, but many people make that compromise because they want the flat-hood look.

The depth of 18-7/8" is shallow. More commonplace is 20" in this price range.

Does the encircling bar have a purpose, or is it decorative? As to the two bars on either side, I am not a fan of hoods with sidebars to hang utensils. The utensils may get in the cook's way depending on how long they are, but even if they don't, they may get greasy from being directly in the path of the exhaust. That's just my personal opinion.

I would also check out Costco. Every once in a while they have awesome hoods for a great price. And you'd have Costco's great return policy.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 8:01PM
cooksnsews

One HUGE reason many folks opt for 400 or less cfms is because of MUA requirements that are being mandated in more and more jurisdictions. Retrofitting MUA systems can be hugely expensive, and in new builds, many contractors just want to avoid the entire issue. Also, among the general population (not necessarily those of us who hang out at GW), cooking rarely ever happens at home. You don't need 400 cfms to reheat tinned soup or make a grilled cheese sammy (unless you burn it). Since the OP has specifically stated that 400 is enough, can't we just assume that maybe he/she knows his/her personal circumstances??

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 9:02PM
steph2000

How did it sound, needinfo1? The nearest IKEA is 3500 miles away, so it makes this tricky for me to check out.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 11:11PM
needinfo1

Yes, this is a retrofit in an older home where we used to have a downdraft. We do not want to go the make up air route (our state has quite strict guidelines about this), and we also have size constraints including width and depth. We lived with a wimpy downdraft for all of those years and have now been living without any ventilation for a month or so with our new AG range. We don't do a lot of frying or grilling. What we mainly want the hood to do is to draw hot air from the range out of the kitchen in the summer (the heat it puts out now in winter is pleasant).

I never did think about the cleaning aspect of having the extra pieces on the hood, so that is something to consider. Supposedly the top rail allows one to put spices up there, something I'd never do since this would be the worst place in the world for spices. I just like the look of the hood being a bit more decorative than most unless you get up into the mega buck price range.

Noise level didn't seem too bad in the store even when on high, but it definitely was noticeable on high. But, the problem as I understand it is that in the store they don't have all of that extra piping and ductwork that most people would have, and that can be the cause of the noise. So, I don't know how one really knows about this.

I very rarely shop there, but we are lucky that Ikea is only tem minutes away. In fact, I never would have even considered Ikea for a hood but saw it there a while ago when I stopped in to look for something else.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 12:13AM
steph2000

Thanks, needinfo. I just love the look of this one. Something about those bars really appeals to me.

Unfortunately, it seems the minimum height requirement is over 47 inches, which is way too tall for our short ceilings. Argh.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 11:38AM
wolverine2

I really like the look of this and we're probably going to get it- we have no ventilation at all right now so anything would be a huge improvement. I haven't looked very much though, so I suppose I should!

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 11:31AM
writersblock

>Unfortunately, it seems the minimum height requirement is over 47 inches, which is way too tall for our short ceilings. Argh.

Don't go by the ikea website, which is notoriously inaccurate. If you really like it, I'd check with ikea first, or ask someone at ikeafans.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 12:25PM
steph2000

Thanks, writersblock. I'll do that. Thanks for the heads up.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 12:50PM
steph2000

Thanks, writersblock. I'll do that. Thanks for the heads up.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 12:56PM
Chris Bremmer

FYI that front panel is stuck on with DOUBLE SIDED TAPE! If you DO actually cook, the heat an moisture eventually cause it to pop up, making you use a stick to get at the buttons. Returning ours... not getting another.

Bookmark   March 10, 2015 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Any thoughts about Bosch and GE Profile appliances?
I am building a passive house and trying to choose...
di77ce
Dishwasher with cutlery tray and heated dry?
I seem to be coming up fairly empty handed with these...
tigger9759
New Bluestar RCS model - Any Info? (RCS366BV2)
Most of the 36" RCS models are RCS36IRV1 right...
kwest2
24' Appliances: Liebherr or Fagor?? Bertazzoni or other?
Can anyone weigh in on small space appliances? While...
petersen
How much Hood CFM to get for Wolf's 6-Burner Rangetop?
Let's say I use all 6 burners at once sometimes (not...
wcutiew
Sponsored Products
Dynasty Antique Silver One-Light 26-Inch High Table Lamp with Box Pleat Shade
$834.00 | Bellacor
SunStopper Sun Blocker 99 20 x 10-ft. Manual Retractable Awning - SUNBLK-20X10-M
Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Brown 6 ft. x 6 ft.
Home Depot
Farberware Pro Forged 15-piece Cutlery Set With 3 Bonus Cutting Boards
Overstock.com
Regent Hand Towel - CLOUD (WHITE) (HAND TOWEL)
$24.90 | Horchow
Metro Blue, White and Orange Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 3 In. Rug
$199.00 | Bellacor
Red Carpet Studios Garden Stone - Faithful Companion - 35186
$23.77 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Area Rug: Arbor Blue 3' 9" x 5' 9"
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™