I never believed in rinsing. . .

jannieFebruary 18, 2009

Until I tried it for myself. I have a basement with a 50-year old linoleum floor. Black squares with colored speckles/very 50's looking. Think rumpus room. Well, in my basement I have only four objects-my washer, dryer, gas burner, and my cat's litter box. Two nights ago the washer overflowed. Wash water then rinse water dumped on the floor. I cleaned up as much as I could with a sponge mop. Next morning it had dried but with terrible steaks and the room stunk of cat pee. What to do? I mixed up a solution of hot water, liquid Spic and Span and a dash of ammonia. Went to work with a scrub brush. But it still looked filthy dirty, so I soaked it all up with paper towels, then went over it with wet paper towels, on my hands and knees, then dried with a final swipe of dry paper towels. Can you say Bounty, the Quicker picker-upper? Today the floor is clean, dry and odor free. I truly believe the secret was in the rinsing I did. JMHO.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cricketm

Rinse with White vingar..... it is the best rinsing agent. My BIL is a chemist and told me this and it is true. I love White vingar!

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 12:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I will try it. When I moved into my home in 1981, the linoleum floor had a nice sheen. I never got it looking that good. I'll go over it with a damp mop and a vinegar solution.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™