Need Tips on How To Clean Clay Soil from Linoleum Type Tiles

eldemilaFebruary 26, 2010

We purchased a house last month with flooring that looks like tile with simulated grout lnes, but isn't, it's a resilient type of linoleum, possibly Nafco brand, but not sure since I have no clue what previous owners bought.

I have been cleaning this floor non-stop! I get to a point I get disgusted and stop and come back days later.

The yard has clay soil and I guess it must be all over the floor, but yet, when you look at the house, you'd think it clean. I get about 4 tiles in (big 16x16 tiles, but still) and have to change the water. I was cleaning with TSP and just kept wasting it. Now I'm hitting it with just clear water and THEN tsp THEN water again - it's still coming up dirty!

Unfortunately, there's a LOT of flooring, probably over 600sq feet of it, and it's taking me forever just to get the living room done.

Anyone have any good recommendations on what's good to use to bring up clay soil? Would something like Oxyclean work, or should I stick with the TSP, or something else?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

You can use a Rug Doctor (rental) on hard flooring.

I feel your pain! We had to clean red clay out of our basement after it was constructed. It was an awful job, but at least we were able to prime and paint over it.

Once you have it clean, think about laying sod in the yard so that the clay soil doesn't get on shoes and your dog's feet when you walk in the yard. That stuff is horrible!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug Doctor

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 12:00PM
eldemila

No dog to worry about, just the other half and his shoes.

The floor is a Nafco floor, I found out today. I'm wondering if the previous owners used something that stripped away the coating and now the clay/dirt is just being absorbed in to the vinyl. I feel it's a never ending battle. I want to get this floor clean already. I'm getting nowhere fast with it, that's for sure.

Thanks!

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 6:20PM
monaw

Try this stuff: http://www.krudkutter.com/redclay.asp

I know! I live in Georgia! You can get it at Home Depot.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 3:33PM
eldemila

Monaw, thank you! I've seen other Krudkutter stuff on store shelves, but never for clay soil. Wonder if it could be because I live(d) in SOFLA and there is no clay soil????

I'll definitely be on the look out for it now. Tell me please, what have you found it works on - hopefully, everything????

THANK YOU!!!!

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 7:43PM
monaw

No worries if you can't find it there, just go here:
http://www.amazon.com/KRUD-KUTTER-RC32-Remover-32-Ounce/dp/B000RUEE3M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1267501991&sr=8-1 (There's a description of what to use it on)

I've used it on just about everything that had a clay stain on it, from concrete garage floor, basement utility concrete floor, stucco, fiberglass, cotton socks, teeshirts (yard work) and tennis shoes. ( Rinse it out of your clothes before adding it to a front loader!) Oh, I also got some clay out of carpet. It says its colorfast...

Our stucco wall that was terribly stained and we cleaned all the clay off before painting. It worked beautifully!

I don't have linoleum so I haven't tried that, but the description says it works on linoleum.

I also go through gallons of the regular krud kutter....love the stuff!

Good luck!!

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Need Suggestions: How Do I Get Smell Out Of Pet Bed?
Not sure where to post this. Needs suggestions. Got...
peabody1
Sponsored Products
36" x 36" Mauny Round Corner Shower Tray
Signature Hardware
Panthea Flatweave Rug 5' x 8' - TURQUOISE
$379.00 | Horchow
Designer Drains Designer Drains - Nautilus Oatey Drain Rough
Hudson Reed
Fabbian | Tile D95 E05 Ceiling Light
YLighting
Florence Stone Pattern Light Blue Glass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus