cleaning cast iron tub

jjamFebruary 2, 2006

I have two cast iron tubs with a non slip design built into the tub on the bottom. The design is now grey where the rest of the tub is still shiny and white. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vikingragna

Use white vinegar to wet and saturate tub bottom and sponge. Next, take baking soda and sprinkle on wet surface as well as vinegar saturated sponge and scrub bottom of tub. Open a window or ventilate the room as the vinegar smell can be a little overwhelming. It takes a little elbow grease, but works well. It will foam also. This is the same ingredients used to make volcanoes for school projects !!! These ingredients will not harm the surface of the tub.

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 11:09AM
tnlady

Have had several cast iron tubs. I would soak the areas in pure bleach. DEFINITELY vent the room and when you go back in after an hour or so of soaking - wash it out really quick! (holding your nose ;)

TNLady

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 2:29PM
jjam

I tried the vinegar and baking soda and it is taking some elbow grease, but what a difference! It really works.

I'm curious about the bleach option. I had thought of that, and it would be less labor intensive, but I thought I had read somewhere that the finish would be damaged by pure bleach. If TNLady has had success with it, I may use it later on to maintain the new white look. Thank you!

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 6:19PM
lindac

If it's really porcelain on cast iron, bleach won't hurt it.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 11:17PM
hollyanne_grow

I have a suggestion for all bathroom and kitchen(VERY hi-concentrated, all purpose cleaner) cleanups. I couldn't believe how it worked but it did it before my eyes--a Conklin product called MOX. I happen to be a Conklin Distributor, so give me a call(402-617-5542) if you have cleaning problems that you cannot solve.

Bookmark   February 5, 2006 at 11:24PM
boyz2mom4

Magic Eraser got our scratched tub spotless. It took 2 erasers to do the job

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 1:32PM
jackie55

Try soft scrub with bleach and a scrubbie pad, or comet cleanser with a scrubbie pad.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™