Cleaning wood venetian blinds

sugarnlizaFebruary 19, 2012

So, I recently just bought my first house and am cleaning it before I move anything in. The problem: There are old wooden blinds that have the tapes on them and I don't know how to clean them. I've read about vinegar and a very lightly damp cloth, but what about the tapes? They're stained and obviously haven't been cleaned in years! Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Perhaps you could spray cleaner (oil based or Pledge or Endust) on a dry cloth and use this to lightly go over the blinds. My Mom always used a dry cloth with spray. Her furniture looked good for 60 years using this method.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 7:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andersons21

Forget vinegar. Dirt deposits have an oily component that vinegar cannot clean. Might as well use plain water, since vinegar smells bad. Here's what I do:

- Swiffer dusters if there's just loose dust. (By the way, those specialty blind cleaners that look like 5 fingers don't work well, IMO.)
- Mr Clean Magic Eraser for more serious grime, OR (if I don't have MCME on hand)
- microfiber cleaning cloths (I use the automotive ones from Costco, have dozens on hand) with Method All-purpose cleaner (really good performance, without the nasty fumes of 409). OR, if the dirt doesn't come off easily with Method, then Trewax Nature's Orange Degreaser, which is the BEST heavy-duty household cleaner I've ever used...however, I can't find Nature's Orange anywhere anymore (probably due to VOC laws) and products that look similar are probably different formulas and not as effective....so then I'm back to Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

I don't have tapes, mine have little strings. I would try scrubbing on Oxi Clean I had mixed in heated water (200*) with a microfiber cloth. Give it time to work. Then maybe a shot of steam from a steam cleaner. Try not to steam the wood, and definitely don't leave any moisture on the wood. Then, soak up as much moisture as possible from the tapes with dry microfiber. This is assuming the tapes are white. If they are colored, I would measure the Oxi carefully according to package directions, not heat it as aggressively, and test a small inconspicuous area first. Heated, concentrated Oxi Clean CAN remove color from dyed fabrics/rugs.

Once they are clean, regular dusting with Swiffer should keep them that way for a long time.

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
How do you clean your oven racks?
I just ran the self-cleaning feature on my Gaggenau...
kawfeeaddict
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
Mold/ Mildew out of clothing, Can it be done?
I have a pink and a blue shirt that were not unpacked...
saphire
Sponsored Products
Homelegance Ameillia Triangle Counter Height Table in Dark Oak
Beyond Stores
Loll Designs Kids Cabrio Chair - Loll Designs
$259.00 | HORNE
Grayson Side Outdoor Dining Chair Cover - Sand
$149.50 | FRONTGATE
Supreme Groovy Dots Rectangle: 3 Ft. 3 In. x 4 Ft. 10 In. Rug
$80.00 | Bellacor
Indoor Comfort Kitchen Words Mat (1'6 x 2'6)
Overstock.com
Chard Table Clamp Manual Meat Grinder - HG-8
$30.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™