Cleaning burnt smell from microwave

nickeysFebruary 10, 2006

Yesterday my 9yr old put an oatmeal cookie in the microwave for two minutes. Yes, two minutes!! The house was filled with smoke. I think he knows for sure now that you can't put a cookie in the microwave for that long :o) I've cleaned all the residue from the microwave but when I warm something it still has that burnt smell. Is there any way to get the smell out or am I shopping for a new unit. Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I've burnt a few things in my microwave before and it takes a while for the smell to disperse. I suspect that the smell gets in to the air vent where steam is blown out (I have no idea what the technical name is). I'd just give it time, preferably leaving the door open to air it out. You could also leave something that absorbs odours in there while not using it, like a pot of baking soda.

    Bookmark   February 10, 2006 at 10:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Vinegar! It is a miracle solution to this problem. Put vinegar in a cup (I dilute with water, but you can use full strenght if the smell is THAT bad). Nuke it to boiling, let it sit in there a minute, then wipe down the MW. The vinegar smell will go away, leaving no smell. I've done this several times for the nefarious burnt popcorn and it works! Sometimes I have to repeat.

    Bookmark   February 10, 2006 at 11:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I second the vinegar.

    Bookmark   February 10, 2006 at 12:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I second the vinegar solution.

I use white vinegar. I buy it a gallon at a time because I use it for lots of other cleaning jobs.

After I used the vinegar and wiped down the microwave, I put a bowl of plain water in the microwave and nuked it to boiling.

It works very well!

    Bookmark   February 10, 2006 at 12:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks everyone. I'll try that tonight!

    Bookmark   February 10, 2006 at 12:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I cooked "popcorn" on "baked potato" which nearly put the popcorn on fire. The burned smell went away eventually (think I tried vinegar and/or baking soda). The thing that has never gone away is the yellow discoloration on the inside of the microwave. It still works ok though.

    Bookmark   February 10, 2006 at 12:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Chop up a lemon into small wedges and put into a bowl add water to barely cover and nuke till boiling (2-3 mins) leave it in there for an hour or so and then wipe out. Much better smelling than Vinegar. Then take the used lemon and run through your garbage disposal to give it a fresh scent!

    Bookmark   February 13, 2006 at 9:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Discovered a tip that worked better than vinegar or lemon juice. Yesterday I put a bowl of vinegar in my microwave to get rid of a burned smell; today there was no change so I used lemon juice and left doors and windows opened all day--no change. Came across a tip on another site that worked instantly---mix a couple of tablespoons of coffee grounds with water and boil for a couple of minutes--voila--no trace of any odor whatsoever--can't believe it.

    Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 8:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Blackened a micro-burger creating billows of thick white smoke. Scrubbed interior alternately with vinegar, baking soda, lemon. Smell still unbearable - vents and interior stained yellow. FINALLY followed someone's suggestion to use pure ACETONE nail polish remover for yellow stains - worked like a charm and did NOT damage the metal enamel interior. I also boiled a solution of lemon and water, and another of vinegar, baking soda and water which didn't help much with the smell. THIS WORKED BEST: In a quart size glass bowl I added 1/4 cup cheap PURE VANILLA (Costco) and a few drops PEPPERMINT OIL mixed with about 1 cup filtered water. Bring to a boil in microwave, uncovered and leave inside to steam for an hour or more then wipe interior dry. I have repeated this dozens of times and smoke odor is almost totally gone, replaced by a faint pleasant vanilla mint smell.

This post was edited by spinningfast on Tue, May 14, 13 at 12:34

    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 12:30PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Removing Stains Caused by Stain Removers - Carpet
Hi all, What's the best way to remove stains on a Sofa,...
Dirty Coffeemaker Sickness!
Warning: This Is NASTY! So I make a pot of coffee everyday...
Jetted Tub Cleaning - I'm at my end point!
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been posted...
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
How to Clean a Disgusting Plastic Shower Floor
I have purchased a property that has what I believer...
Sponsored Products
Airocide Floor Stand
$129.50 | FRONTGATE
26-Oz. Multi-Surface Cleaner
$5.99 | zulily
DreamLine Shower Bases SlimLine 33 in. x 33 in. Quarter Round Shower Base in
Home Depot
Karastan Carmel Pescadero Rug - 74700 13109 114155
$199.99 | Hayneedle
Pinwheel Three-Light Pendant in Recycled Aluminum
$279.00 | Bellacor
Saloni Green 18 x 18 Stripes Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Serena & Lily Border Frame Sham
Serena & Lily
Vaxcel Robie Outdoor Pendant - 7.25W in. Espresso Bronze - T0025
$181.25 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™