basement shower question

kidhornMarch 7, 2012

We're thinking of getting a bathroom added to our basement. The floor is concrete and we'll need to have a rough in done. The bathroom will have a shower in one of the corners.

Do I need a shower pan for the bottom of the shower?

I'm hoping we can just put a square drain in the concrete or maybe a little above the concrete and place tile around it for the floor.

The plan is to have a tile floor extend into the shower and up the walls of the shower. Put a small tiled wall maybe the height of a brick to place the shower doors on top of to keep water from escaping the shower via the floor.

The reason is I looked at shower enclosure kits online and I don't like the way they look. I think tile looks better. I'm hoping that since we're going to have someone tile the floor, why not have them also tile the shower. I'm hoping it won't add a lot to the cost.

If this idea is bad or you have a better idea, please let me know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Avanti Tile & Stone (Stonetech)

Don't matter WHERE you're putting your shower! If it's a Kerdi Shower (try JohnBridgedotcom) you only need ONE mudslope to make it work. If it's "conventional," you need a preslope, a liner and a final slope to make it work. Otherwise, with a liner laying flat on the floor....lots of mold and beasties will grow there.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 7:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Avanti Tile & Stone (Stonetech)

Google "JohnBridge" for more info....

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
Builders Depot Direct for marble?
Anyone ever ordered from them? Their prices are tempting...
64reno64
Anyone seen Hydroban board for sale?
Can't seem to find it anywhere. Can't tell if that's...
cataan
New build master bath layout help please
I’m a little stuck, and looking for ideas. In the...
am_e
Tall toilet brands?
Looking for suggestions, need taller than the standard...
jewelisfabulous
Master Bath Reveal - Small space, big style
We don't have the bathroom shade installed yet, but...
piscesgirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™