One Staircase or Two?
We are building a home and are trying to decide if we should have one staircase or two. The original plan had a staircase in the foyer as well as one near the great room/kitchen. The foyer staircase could not have been a grand staircase because the foyer was not large enough to lend to anything like that.
Here are the pros to removing that staircase:
1. Brings down the cost of the house (approximately $10,000)
2. Brings the square footage down by about 50 to 100 square feet which drops the cost more ($7,500 to $15,000)
3. Increases the foyer area to allow for a more 'grand' foyer
4. Allows the second story Jack and Jill bath to be a little larger
5. Allows more space on the second floor for all four upstairs bedrooms to have walk in closets
6. Gives more hallway space on the second floor to have a closet with washer/dryer for guests
Here are the cons:
1. There is only one way to access the second floor and it is near the back of the house so if we were all upstairs and the doorbell rang then it wouldn't be as easy to get to the front door
2. The master bedroom is down and all of the children's rooms are up and we would be removing the staircase that would allow quickest access to them
3. We lose the "staircase in the foyer" that so many people like...however, as I said, it wouldn't be grand by any means
Can someone please advise me on this? I have attached the revised floorplan. I can't figure out how to attach more than one document so can't show what it used to look like with two staircases or what the second floor looks like before and after.
This post was edited by chrissyPT on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 22:40