Caulking around shower faucet

bifjamodMarch 8, 2009

I am preparing to replace the caulk in my shower stall. Should the decorative metal plate around the faucet handle, and the metal plate around the shower head pipe, be caulked? The builder did not do so, but it seems a good spot for moisture to enter the wall over time, from occasional splash and steam.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nolamom

i thought this also. it's a pretty snug fit on my new installation, so my contractor really didn't think it was necessary. he indulged me by doing it anyway on the bath fixtures. but with the matching grout from the tile underneath.

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 11:59PM
pepperidge_farm

Unless it is a steam shower, I don't think you need to worry about the shower pipe, it is above the flow of water. With regard to the escutcheon, the plate around the handle, often there is a gasket that will seal it behind the plate; if not, you can caulk around the outer rim where it meets the tile.

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 8:31PM
evilbunnie

it was recommended to me (and I have old vintage 1940 fixtures) that as I have escutcheons on shower handles, to take the escutcheon off, and put a "frown" or "rainbow" (basically a semicircle) of caulk above the pipe coming out of the tile, but within the circle of the escutcheon (so that it's hidden), and let that line of caulk dry, and replace the escutcheon. Reason is, water that gets behind the escutcheon will hit the dried semicircle of caulk adhered to the tile, and will roll off the sides, and won't get into the hole in the tile. When it rolls off, it will drip out the bottom of the escutcheon. What you don't want is a full seal around the whole bottom of the escutcheon, as this can lead to trapped water in the escutcheon if the caulk fails on the top or sides. Many of these escutcheons deliberately have a drip hole to let water out.

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 4:12PM
More Discussions
Kohler Elevance Tub - for disabled - gorgeous
Pretty new product from Kohler. anyone who is looking...
elphaba_gw
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
Help me finish designing bathroom
Need a little help and to ask if you think I'm heading...
fourhappy
White tubs not really white?
For our new build, I have chosen Imperial Blanco white...
mom2sulu
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Sponsored Products
Flair Widespread Bathroom Faucet
Signature Hardware
Unbranded 4 in. Recessed Lighting Kit TH-P08-02
$24.75 | Home Depot
Murano Pattern Glass Vessel Sink | Italian Counter Top Bathroom Sink
maestrobath
Halo 5054 5" Dome Lens Shower Trim
LBC Lighting
Normann Copenhagen Norm 69 Suspension Lamp L
ModernistLighting.com