Can this be done?

nhbasketsMarch 6, 2012

We've been looking forward to remodeling our small master bath. I have everything chosen, and the vanity has been ordered. Last week we found out that the insurance company paying long term disability on my husband is no longer covering him. Ouch! We still want to go forward with the bathroom but need to scale things back.

My question is, can we tile the floor now and then tile the shower stall at a later time? We currently have a one piece fiberglass stall. I didn't know if this would be an issue with where the floor meets the curb.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Carole

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

I am not positive, but I think it would work better to tile the shower now and tackle the floor later.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 9:12PM
catbuilder

Yes, you can do that. I did exactly that in one bathroom, except that it had a tub which I changed to a shower, a year after the floor was tiled.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 12:02AM
nhbaskets

Catbuilder, thanks so much for the verification!

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 7:17AM
2ajsmama

I haven't done this, but I have tiled a couple of bathroom floors and I think that you should lay out the tile so that any cuts are at the shower, just in case you have to remove them to get the old stall out, also in case the new tiled shower is deeper. Of course you don't want to end up with small cuts at the back wall of the new shower stall (or even worse, at the curb!) so plan the layout very carefully. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Vanities on opposite walls -- how much width?
Hey all. We are trying to design a long and narrow...
jenmendel23
Suggestions - Eliminating Jack and Jill Bath in New Construction
Looking for suggestions on eliminating a Jack and Jill...
burbmomoftwo
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
? Factory sealed carrera tile- anyone??
I went to the tile store today and was planning on...
amspinn
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™